Car not starting

MORDACAIE
  • 1995 CHEVROLET S-10
  • RWD
About six months ago to a year my starter went out on my truck. I bought a new starter then took it to the shop due to it being cheaper and had them replace it. When I got home the truck had issues starting and was dropping down to eight volts from thirteen volts standing. The truck did start and this continued, I changed out batter cables, cleaned connections, bought a new batter, new alternator and even took the starter off after I figured out how and checked the connections to see what was wrong. The connections to the starter was good so I took the starter up had it tested at three different shops, they said it was good. Now my truck just will not start. I checked the teeth to the fly wheel and it does not sound like it has frozen up at all. Really really stuck and not sure what to do! Please Help! video of what is happening https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wi6zWnAzGlo&feature=youtu.be
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 6:25 PM

It appears the manufacture may have large tolerances.

Like every starter is different in some way.

See my link below!

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/cranks-no-start-groan-under-dash-right-after

The Medic
Sunday, September 11th, 2016 AT 6:57 PM
MORDACAIE
Okay, I will shim it today after I get off work. It struggling like that could cause the voltage drop?
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 5:18 AM
Actually shims make it quieter when it turns over but it may help. If it does not turn over at all check battery for condition including load test most places do for free.
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 6:42 AM
MORDACAIE
Yes I did that. It is a brand new battery also new cables, new starter, new alternator. Review video for how it sounds and what all I have done to it so far.
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 7:04 AM
It comes up with over a hundred videos under that voltage will normally drop at least two volts when you start a car/truck unless its 'been modified, check ground on engine as well as body for corrosion also due to age of truck i'd suggest running another ground from engine to frame as well as body as there may have been grounds removed like ones off of back of cylinder head to body. That is one of the most common grounds removed and never put back on. It may be due to this.
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 7:25 AM
MORDACAIE
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wi6zWnAzGlo
sorry sent the wrong link above here is the link.
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 7:37 AM
MORDACAIE
And yes it is new battery cables that are ran positive and negative even to the starter. I also cleaned where it attaches to the frame the grounds. Two go to my frame and one to the engine for the grounds. I cleaned all three where they attach to.
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 7:39 AM
How about battery to body and engine to body?
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 11:57 AM
MORDACAIE
Where would that ground be located? The only grounds I see from engine is one to battery then one that goes from engine to starter.
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 12:04 PM
MORDACAIE
I will search when I get home and update will come back then. Thanks
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 12:14 PM
I already said where the ground was in an earlier reply. Also just because a battery is new doesn't mean it's any good. Have a load test done on it. Then have a mechanic do a draw test on starter. A lot of times auto parts check it and it's no good as well.
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 1:01 PM
MORDACAIE
Yes sir, thank you.
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 1:08 PM
MORDACAIE
Okay test done on both and both were good. Battery recharged aswell, put them both back in. Recleabing ground connectiions in a moment.
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 1:27 PM
MORDACAIE
This is the only other I could find attached to the frame is this the other ground?
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 4:06 PM
That is a body ground not frame just turn one to the frame. This should really be checked out by a pro instead of these endless emails. When the battery was load tested how far did voltage drop? If it went below 9 volts the battery Is bad and it should read at least 12.4 volts when at a low charge if it reads below then it's bad.
-1
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 4:40 PM
MORDACAIE
Thanks for your help
Monday, September 12th, 2016 AT 4:57 PM
KEN
Please let us know what you find so it will help others.

Best, Ken
Wednesday, September 14th, 2016 AT 8:17 PM