1992 Chevy S-10 rough idle (skips/misses)

JASON PIERCE
  • 1992 CHEVROLET S-10
I have owned my truck for 12 years. This my third engine and I have been chasing down this problem all the while. Despite different engines (new ones) there has always been a skip/miss at all speeds. It runs good and gets 20 mpg. But I just cant seem to find the problem. This new engine from Jasper was installed with all new stuff and it still does it! I suspect it may be an issue with the HEI system (fine tuning or upgrading), a timing issue or maybe its just typical of this engine. If so are there any changes, upgrades or fine tuning that can be done to remmedy this issue. I am a pefectionist when it comes to my ride so please help this is driving me crazy. PS- Ive been through about 4 exhaust manifolds over the years. Why do they keep cracking?
Friday, February 29th, 2008 AT 2:03 PM

MCFERRANCE
Have you checked the MAP sensor, EGR valve and EGR contoller?
Monday, March 3rd, 2008 AT 2:38 PM
JASON PIERCE
Never replaced the MAP sensor (not sure how to check it), EGR replaced with new engine, not sure about the EGR controller
Monday, March 3rd, 2008 AT 7:03 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
I was going to say check egr. I had a trick bag one years back when I worked at chevy. It had been to several dealers and what I found was the problem is that the egr adapter had the wrong gasket installed causing a lean misfire. This would answer the question of why manifolds are cracking. **I think we are onto something here. Disassemble egr and the mounting to make sure the right gaskets are installed. You can try sspraying a little carb cleaner around intaqke and see if it smoothes out, (lean miss). Get back to us.
Monday, March 3rd, 2008 AT 7:14 PM
JASON PIERCE
Ill try that. What is the correct gasket? Thanks man
Monday, March 3rd, 2008 AT 7:41 PM
JASON PIERCE
Ill try that. What is the correct gasket? Thanks man[/quote:fe1452c045]
Monday, March 3rd, 2008 AT 7:44 PM
MASTERTECHTIM
I forget exactly but I remember that when you take it apart you will see that there is a space not covered by gasket that should be causning basically egr operation at idle. There are 2 different style gaskets, I so you have a 50 50 chance of getting the right one. These gaskets are always reused when doing engine work but at some point someone replaced it. My problem came to after a head gasket was installed.
Tuesday, March 4th, 2008 AT 6:20 AM