CHEVY CAR CONSTANTLY DIES

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

seal0716

June, 12, 2009 AT 2:40 PM

2003 Chevy Monte Carlo 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 136010 miles

My car has been constantly dying ever since I have replaced the fuel pump. Not all the time however sometimes when I start the car it dies right away. It will only turn on if I pump the pedal and keep it above 2,000 rpms. Black smoke will be pouring out but it will stay on. If I dont keep it idling long enough it will shut back off. It will also sometimes die on me in the middle of driving. I thought I solved the problem when I replaced a broken manifold pressure sensor. It was good for awhile but died again. I just cant figure it out. Any Ideas?

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

June, 12, 2009 AT 4:14 PM

Check the fuel pressure and get back with the readings asap

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fp1_17.jpg

seal0716

June, 16, 2009 AT 3:29 PM

Checked the pressure and its fine. However was messing around with sensors and found out that when I unplug my MAF sensor, it will not die at all. I cleaned out the MAF but still dies when plugged in. Right now its driving fine with no MAF sensor, and do not want to buy a new MAF sensor and find out its the plug. Anyway I can check this?

June, 16, 2009 AT 4:09 PM

Is it giving you a code P0102 and P0103??

You can test the MAF sensor wiring harness connectror back to the computer for short or open circuit. If okay could bethe computer or the sensor itself

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_maf_3.jpg

billyjackie2003

October, 14, 2014 AT 11:31 PM

I am having the same problem with my 2002 chevy monte carlo ss. I am thinking its my cat. Convertor, but what did you ever find out about yours?