2004 Chevy Malibu Remote start

JMALEWSKI
  • 2004 CHEVROLET MALIBU
2004 Chevy Malibu 6 cyl Automatic 195000 miles

First of all I appreciate any help you can give! I am a broke single mom so trying to do this as cheap as possible! I need to know the steps to programming a remote start for my factory installed remote start on my Malibu. It's the key fob that I need the steps for programming. Do you have those exact steps by any chance? Again, thank you so much for any help and Merry Christmas!
Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009 AT 8:24 PM

IMPALASS
Hello -

To better assist you is your model just the Malibu or the LS, LT, Maxx, Maxx LS, or Maxx LT and do you know your engine size in liter?

Also, what is the reason for reprogramming?

One last thing, please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery and alternator.
Wednesday, December 23rd, 2009 AT 9:05 PM
JMALEWSKI
It is an LS. I have already had someone check it out who deals with remote starts. He said my transmitter is bad (and he deals with this in his own store all the time so I trust him). Chevrolet charges $115 for the transmitter and another $40 for programming. I have a place where I can pick up the transmitter for $80 and my friend can do the programming for free if he had the steps (in the correct order) to program the transmitter. It is a factory installed remote start, not after market, so he said the steps would be something funny for example, press the gas pedal 10 times and then turn on the radio. That would then "key" the computer on the remote start that we are reprogramming (he said this is how it's done on most cars he has reprogrammed with factory installed remote starts). That is why I just need the steps in the correct order to reprogram the transmitter itself. The engine size in liter is 3.5. Thank you for your help!
Thursday, December 24th, 2009 AT 12:15 PM
IMPALASS
Hello -

Try this and let me know. So far this is the only thing I can find.

Transmitter Resynchronization
Resynchronization may be necessary due to the security method used by this system. The transmitter does not send the same signal twice to the receiver. The receiver will not respond to a signal that has been sent previously. This prevents anyone from recording and playing back the signal from the transmitter.
To resynchronize your transmitter, stand close to your vehicle and press and hold the lock and unlock buttons on the transmitter at the same time for 15 seconds. The door locks should cycle to confirm synchronization. If the locks do not cycle, see your dealer for service.
Thursday, December 24th, 2009 AT 4:10 PM