Gear shift stuck in park

GADGETMOM
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My car gets stuck in park whenever the outside temperature dips below sixty degrees F. The button that needs to be pushed in on the console stick in order to put the car in drive will not budge until the car warms up for about twenty minutes or more, a real waste of gasoline! As I stated earlier, this only happens when the temperature drops below sixty degrees F. During the warm summer months it works just fine. My biggest concern is the safety hazard, my kids when they use the car to go to work and they have to sit in the car late at night waiting for it to warm up before they can drive home. I am really hoping this is something I can take care of myself. I have spent way too much money on repairs to this car already! Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tuesday, November 3rd, 2009 AT 1:47 PM

BMRFIXIT

There is a shift interlock solenoid that sticks on these cars. Below is a diagrams to help you see if it is working. When you press the brake pedal down also check to see if the brake light work. You may need to replace the solenoid.

Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find.

Cheers
Wednesday, November 4th, 2009 AT 6:28 AM
GADGETMOM
Thank you so much! Your suggestion worked and I cannot tell you how relieved every member of my family is over this. We have been stumped by this for a long time and have tried a lot of other things and were sure that we would ultimately have to spend hundreds of dollars making yet another repair to this poorly engineered massive disappointment of a car.
Wednesday, November 4th, 2009 AT 8:13 PM
BMRFIXIT
Glad all worked for you.
Thank you.
Sunday, November 22nd, 2009 AT 8:41 AM
AM32776
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
  • AWD
My car's transmission gets stuck in park and is hard to push in the release button to shift gear. Once out of park it is fine.
Wednesday, June 6th, 2018 AT 10:56 AM (Merged)
RAMIS
Most people do not understand that the parking brake is there for a reason. Before you put your car in the park position use the parking brake also known as you e-brake. This will stop your car from moving front or back which will stop your car from getting stuck in the park position. To get it out of park get a friend to push your car front or back depending on the incline that your car may be in. While he/she pushes you change the gear. This is a common problem in parking spots that are inclined because people do not use there parking brake. This could eventually lead to transmission problems.
I hope this helped out a little.
+1
RAMIS
If that does not work try hitting the brakes. Most newer cars have a safety that does not let you shift the car without you hitting the brakes. Just putting this out there because I know some one who called me because he could not shift out of park and it was because he was not hitting the brakes.
+1
RKELLER00
  • 1998 CHEVROLET MALIBU
My wife's car has an automatic transmission. When it gets cold outside my wife says she has to warm it up for twenty to thirty minutes to go from park to drive. The button will not push in to move the gear shift. When it is warm outside it works fine. I even undid the safety switch where you do not have to push on the brake to start it and it worked fine but, now that it is cold again it is doing it again. I even sprayed a little white grease down where the plastic shifter rod is below the shifter handle. Is there a solution to this and how? Help please. Thanks
Check the shift-lock control solenoid.
RKELLER00
I will check that, thank you. Would the brake light switch have anything to do with it?
Yes sir, check that too. Are the brake lights working?
TLREDFOX
  • 1997 CHEVROLET MALIBU
Transmission is stuck in park and will not shift. What should I check for?
RHALL77
Disconnect the shift cable from the transmission and make sure it is not the transmission. Most likely it is the shift interlock.