1996 CHEVY LUMINA NO DASH OR TAIL LIGHTS

• tjreiber
  • 1996 Chevrolet Lumina

1996 Chevy Lumina 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 140000 miles

DO NOT HAVE TAIL LIGHTS OR ANY DASH LIGHTS BUT ALL OTHER LIGHTS WORK ON THE CAR CAN NOT FIND THE PROBLEM. WHAT COULD IT BE?

Wednesday, February 13th, 2008 AT 9:03 PM

• lp48322

I have same problem.
I have checked the fuse (the fuse was under the hood - driver side 25A just beside the hore fuse), but it's OK.
I tried different headlight switch. Taking instrument panel was not easy, but was able to take it out.
Unpluging (taking out) headlamp switch was hard, and the two metal clamps were bent and had been fallen out of the switch, but recovered.
With new switch (Duralast brand from autozone), there was no luck.

Now I found some one who had similar problem with 1997 Mazda 626 was answered by some one mentioning combo switch. For mazda, it sounded simple relay, but for the lumina, it means the turn signal lever which is mounted on the steering column and I am afreaid of touching it.

There are so many people struggling with this problem. However, no one seems resloved yet.

Lee

Tuesday, May 27th, 2008 AT 3:31 PM
  • wswjones08

Actually I have, I had the same problem. Check the contacts in the fuse box itself. Mine was corroded, so I had to cut the wires and connect it to a new fuse (holder? Dont know what to call it). Turn the headlights on, and then find the fuse (under the hood, drivers side) and wiggle it around. When you push it in a certain direction, the lights should work, hence it being corroded.

Tuesday, June 3rd, 2008 AT 1:08 PM
  • ariellifschitz

Wwjones08-

I'm having the same problem you had, tail lights and dash lights on a 96 lumina are not working.

That went on for a while, now the brake lights (left and right) don't work either, but the center one in the window does.

Mechanic tells me it's due to the contacts in the Driver's side under the hood Fuse block being corroded. Problem is, he's looked everywhere, even checked hardware stores, GM dealers, and can't find replacement contacts! (He calls them " female ends for the maxi fuses". )

When he ordered a new Fuse block from the GM dealership, he got just the plastic honeycomb, no contacts inside. He needs the ones specifically for the maxi fuses he says.

Where did you buy or find the contacts? We've looked at some junkyard parts (get the fuse block with wires still attached) but the contacts are just as corroded!

Any clues would be MUCH appreciated, it's either find the contacts or junk the car at this point for me.

Thanks!

Thursday, November 13th, 2008 AT 8:21 PM
  • wswjones08

Obviously you probably fixed this by now, sorry for the late (only a year. Ha) response. But for anyone else who may experience this, I purchased a separate holder for the fuse (can purchase at lowes or home depot). I found the wires that ran to the corroded contacts (be very careful to not cut the wrong ones) and cut the two. Used a crimp to attach the wires to the fuse holder and voila, fixed.

Tuesday, November 24th, 2009 AT 6:19 AM
  • ass9r

Listen I had same problem all I did was loop wire labelled n and o together at the plug in doing this I completed the circuit only when you turn on the light switch in park light and headlight the dashlights came on with the chime it also turns back off when switch is turned off

Saturday, June 2nd, 2012 AT 6:30 PM