Can someone help me?

OLDMIL21
  • CHEVROLET IMPALA

I drive a 1999 Monte Carlo with 69,000 miles on it. Recently, my car started to "slip" right around 45-50 mph where it shifts into overdrive. It feels like when you spin your wheels on ice and then catch some solid ground off and on. Once you get above this speed everything is fine and it also doesn't do it until you reach this speed. If you accelerate with the car in Drive instead of Overdrive, the problem doesn't occur either. I changed the transmission fluid which was very clean, nice and red without any metal in the bottom of the pan.
What could be causing this to happen?

Tuesday, January 10th, 2006 AT 10:43 AM

JACK42

Slipping going into OD isnt good. You might want to take it to a reputable trans shop and have it scanned

Tuesday, January 10th, 2006 AT 12:13 PM
BOMBER2782

Sounds like an upshift solenoid in the transmission.

Tuesday, February 14th, 2006 AT 12:33 PM
KENVCR

2carjack has the correct idea. Go to a reputable shop. Your overdrive is shot, but the D 1 2 are still ok. However in order to repair this the whole tranny must be rebuilt.
A cheaper alternative is to look for a used tranny from a salvage yard with a 90ish day warranty. Rebuilt can cost about 1000. Is this car worth it to you? Plan on getting rid of car soon? Small auto shops can re/re this job usually about 4 to 6 hours if you go the used route.

Thursday, February 16th, 2006 AT 1:08 AM