CAN SOMEONE HELP ME!?

Chevrolet Impala

oldmil21

January, 10, 2006 AT 10:43 AM

I drive a 1999 Monte Carlo with 69,000 miles on it. Recently, my car started to " slip" right around 45-50 mph where it shifts into overdrive. It feels like when you spin your wheels on ice and then catch some solid ground off and on. Once you get above this speed everything is fine and it also doesn't do it until you reach this speed. If you accelerate with the car in Drive instead of Overdrive, the problem doesn't occur either. I changed the transmission fluid which was very clean, nice and red without any metal in the bottom of the pan.
What could be causing this to happen?

Jack42

Slipping going into OD isnt good. You might want to take it to a reputable trans shop and have it scanned

bomber2782

February, 14, 2006 AT 12:33 PM

Sounds like an upshift solenoid in the transmission.

kenvcr

February, 16, 2006 AT 1:08 AM

2carjack has the correct idea. Go to a reputable shop. Your overdrive is shot, but the D 1 2 are still ok. However in order to repair this the whole tranny must be rebuilt.
A cheaper alternative is to look for a used tranny from a salvage yard with a 90ish day warranty. Rebuilt can cost about 1000. Is this car worth it to you? Plan on getting rid of car soon? Small auto shops can re/re this job usually about 4 to 6 hours if you go the used route.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage