GEARS DO NOT WORK

2000 Chevrolet Impala

kkean

June, 2, 2012 AT 4:15 PM

What could be the issue if it goes into gear when started but once put in park and tried to be put back in any gear it does not work? We have changed the transmission fluid and also the filter. I was driving down the road and it all of a sudden acted like it got kicked into neutral. It would only drive home in 3rd. The next morning I went out and started it up and put it in all gears and it worked but once I put it back into park and then tried to put it back into any gear it would not do anything.

fixitmr

June, 2, 2012 AT 4:45 PM

Is CEL on? Have codes read. Did setting for a time make it work again?

kkean

June, 2, 2012 AT 4:49 PM

No the CEL is not on. It is not throwing any codes.

rivermikerat

July, 24, 2012 AT 4:10 AM

Have you asked them to make sure they scan 'soft' codes, which don't set the CEL and require a different code scanner?

Make sure the shifter linkage isn't slipping. Do you hear any distressing noises from it? Like a grinding, or crunching?

rivermikerat

July, 24, 2012 AT 4:54 PM

Also, I just remembered this: Have the trans fluid pressure tested. Did you hear any noises when the problem started? Like a pop or snapping sound? One or more of the bands that create friction and cause the trans to transfer torque could have snapped.

Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz