2003 Chevy Impala SLow to accelerate

LENABENA
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My car is very slow to pick up speed when accelerating it kinda jerks and stalls. The check engine light comes on every once and a while, stays on for about a day and then goes back out. I think it may be my fuel injector because I am burning up gas a lot quicker than before. What do I need to do in order to clean it? Thank you for your help
Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 2:29 PM

Hi:
First, if the check engine light comes on, there will be a trouble code set in the computer. Most nationally recognized parts stores will scan it for free. Have it done, and let me know what you find.

Wednesday, February 18th, 2009 AT 7:33 PM
LENABENA
I had it scanned and P0300, P0125 and P0404 were the codes that came up but the light does not stay on. Thanks
Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 9:14 AM
PO300 - multiple random missfire

PO125 - Insufficient Coolant Temperature for Closed Loop Fuel Control

PO404 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Circuit Range/Performance

It sounds like the car isn't warming up to lean out the fuel mixture. This sounds like a coolant temp sensor. That would explain the poor fuel mileage. That is what I would replace. Have that checked and replaced if needed.

Let me know if it helps.

+1
Thursday, February 19th, 2009 AT 6:34 PM
LENABENA
How much does one of those run and how intensive is the work to put it on?
+1
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 9:48 AM
It's easy to replace. It should be near the thermostat. IT unbolts, disconnect the elect to it and replace. The part should be under 15 dollars.
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 10:11 AM
LENABENA
Hey Joe,
So I could go buy the part and have someone put it in for me and that should fix my problem?
Friday, February 20th, 2009 AT 1:26 PM
SHUVIT
My wife has a 2003 chevy impala and was having the same problem with the slow acceleration. To make a long story short the problem was the cat converter. And the car only had a little over 80k miles on it. Well its all fixed now and runs great. And for the P0125 code it could also be the thermostat instead of the temp sensor. Both parts are going to be under $15 each. I am going to replace the thermostat 1st and go from there. If that isn't it then I will replace the temp sensor.
Friday, March 5th, 2010 AT 8:34 PM