2001 Chevy Impala mid tone whinning noise

KAVPEREZ
  • 2001 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I noticed the other day when I was driving about 30 miles per hour a noise that sounded like a faint motorcycle. When I noticed that no one was around me I then knew it was coming from my car. The faster I go it gets louder and the slower I go it disappears. The engine seems fine and it only make the noise after I hit about 25 miles per hour. When it comes to a stop the noise winds down. It is coming from the front part of my car. At first I thought it was my muffler but then my boyfriend though it was the speedometer cable. Could you help please?
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 10:14 AM

Hi:
First I want you to check all of your tires to see their condition. If they are feathered on the edges, they can make this type of sound. Also, considering it is a speed sensitive that would be my first guess.

Let me know what you find.

Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 12:07 PM
KAVPEREZ
Yes my tires are in good shape. I just had them checked out. I can clearly tell that it is coming from somewhere in or around my engine.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 12:43 PM
Does it change with the car's speed or engine speed (RPM).
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 2:55 PM
KAVPEREZ
Yes it changes with the rpm. The faster I go the louder it gets. When I slow down it gets quieter. And when I stop there is no noise. The noise doesn't start until I get to about 25 miles per hour.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 4:21 PM
KAVPEREZ
When I start my car and put it in neutral and rev up the enginge it doesn't make this noise. But when I am going down a hill and put it in neutral it still makes the whinning noise.
Wednesday, November 12th, 2008 AT 6:12 PM

Sponsored links