2000 Chevy Impala Car drives along fine then dies out of no

SCOTTYCAMERON
  • 2000 CHEVROLET IMPALA
I have a 2000 chevy impala with a 3.8 motor and it drives along fine then it just dies out of nowhere. There battery light comes on in the message box, but the radio still plays and I pull over to the side of the road and it always has started back up but I don't want to be stranded either. Just changed the fuel pump and fuel filter, but obviously that isn't the problem. Any help would be appreciated.
Monday, July 13th, 2009 AT 12:55 AM

TAKECHARGESARGE
Hi scottycameron,

My 2000 Chevy Impala had the same problem about 3 years ago. Reading your posting was about the same thing I would have written. I didn't replace the fuel pump, but I did replace the fuel filter.

I found that the Crankshaft Position Sensor was the cause of the problem. I was told that the Ignition Module could also shut off the ignition the same way, but I can't imagine an intermittent problem with the ignition module.

I performed a mini-failure analysis on the removed Crankshaft Position Sensor and didn't find any obvious damage or flaws. The only strange thing I found was a build-up of metallic dust on the only magnetic area of the Sensor. It may be that if this metallic dust was removed, it just might correct the problem without replacing the Sensor. If mine were to develop the problem again, that's the first thing I would do.

I would advise changing the Crankshaft Position Sensor first because it is by far the least costly.

Good luck.

TakeChargeSarge
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 2:16 AM
SCOTTYCAMERON
Hey thanks for the post, I checked the ignition module and it past the test twice. I'm putting a crankshaft sensor in Thursday, thanks alot for your input
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 9:05 PM
TAKECHARGESARGE
Scottycameron,

Glad to hear the ignition module is o.K.

It surely would be nice to know if cleaning the sensor would cure the problem. Anyway, would you take a look at the middle of the center groove of the sensor and check for a build-up of metallic dust? Let me know what you find.

Thanks,

TakeChargeSarge
Tuesday, July 21st, 2009 AT 10:41 PM
SCOTTYCAMERON
Hello sarge, I looked at the sensor and it did have a little build up on it but didn't look too bad, went ahead and replaced it, car hasn't died on me yet, but it kinda seems to be shifting a little wierd, i'm sure the tranny sensor is next.
Friday, July 24th, 2009 AT 7:40 PM