Transmission fluid drain and fill

CHASJERNIGAN
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX

My vehicle is a six cylinder, front wheel drive, automatic with 92,500 miles. I see where the dipstick is, but there is a lot of wires and other obstacles blocking it. The only thing I can think of is putting a jack underneath the transmission and removing the transmission mount. My question is will this work and not damage the the transmission? Is there an easier way? My car has the 3.4L engine.

Friday, September 17th, 2010 AT 6:09 PM

Hi chasjernigan, Welcome to 2carpros

TRANS-AXLE FLUID REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

Raise and support the vehicle.

Remove the drain plug and drain fluid. Allow at least five minutes for the fluid to drain completely.

Remove the gasket from the drain plug and discard.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE:

Install the new gasket on the drain plug.
NOTICE: Refer to Component Fastener Tightening Notice in Cautions and Notices.

Install the drain plug.
TIGHTEN
Drain plug to 40 Nm (30 lb ft)

Make sure vehicle is level.
IMPORTANT: Dexron III automatic transmission fluid is not compatible with this trans-axle. If Dexron III ATF is used, trans-axle failure will result. This trans-axle uses GM T-IV fluid P/N 88900925.

Remove the fluid level indicator located behind the front trans-axle mount.

NOTICE: Do not remove the third gear anchor band bolt located on top of the transmission for checking fluid or adding fluid. Removing the bolt will dislocate internal components and require the transmission to be removed from the vehicle and disassembled for repair.

Add approximately 3.1L (3.3 quart) of GM T-IV fluid to the trans-axle, using the fluid level indicator location.

IMPORTANT: If the check is necessary at a low oil temperature of 30 -40 C (86 -104 F), perform check using the "COLD" range on the level gauge. However, the fluid must be re-checked at the proper fluid temperature.

Start engine and operate vehicle until trans-axle fluid temperature reaches 60 -70 C (140 -158 F).

Apply parking brake.
Depress brake pedal and move shift lever slowly through all gear ranges from park (P) to low (liter), pausing for about three seconds in each range. Return shift lever to park (P) range at idle condition.
Pull level gauge out again and check if fluid level is within the "HOT" range.
If fluid is not within the correct level, adjust accordingly:
If fluid is below the "HOT" range, add enough to bring it up to the correct level.
If fluid is above "HOT" range, drain excess fluid.
Install the fluid level indicator.

Cheers!

Saturday, September 18th, 2010 AT 4:21 AM
2CARPROS KEN

You will need to raise the car up safely to do the repair here is a guide to get you started on that

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

Here is how you service the transmission and check the fluid once you are done.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

Here are the diagrams (below) to show you the location of the drain plug and dip stick

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Friday, September 29th, 2017 AT 6:14 PM
DANIEL THOMPSON
  • 2005 CHEVROLET EQUINOX
  • AWD

I am trying to find the drain plug for my transmission and where do I fill it up at? Can you help me?

+1
Friday, September 29th, 2017 AT 6:15 PM (Merged)
WRENCHTECH

Most transmissions do not have drain plugs. The pan has to be removed to drain the fluid. You are better off to pay a shop to use a fluid exchange machine. You wont drain even half of the fluid if you drop the pan.