2005 CHEVY EQUINOX 2005 CHEVY EQUINOX WITH A WHINING OR WHI

• Fearlessnight
  • 2005 Chevrolet Equinox

Noises problem
2005 Chevy Equinox 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 56000 miles

I recently purchase a 2005 chevrolet equinox LT AWD. There is a high pitched whining noise or whistling noise that will come and go. One thing that is consistant is every time the noise is present once I hit 15 mpr. Or less the noise stops on a Q. When the noise is present if I turn to the left or right the noise stays completely the same. Thinking maybe it was the transmission or engine when the noise was present I threw it into neutral at about 50 mpr. And reved it up a little still no change in the noise. Whatever the noise is it seems to only be associated with wheel speed any ideas?

Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 7:21 PM

• obxautomedic

Have you tried reving while in park?

Have you check the condition of the drive belt?

It could also be either the Idler or Tensioner Pulley. To check, with spray lube in hand and vehicle off, find the Idler and tensioner, now spray the center bolt on One of them. Start Vehicle and rev engine if noise is gone for short period then replace pulley. If noise still present repeat proccess on other pulley.

If noise still present spray belt lightly while running and rev if noise gone replace belt.

.

Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 7:31 PM
  • Fearlessnight

Yes I reved it up in park the noise will not occure it only happens if the wheels are actively moving and I should have stated this earlier but it does not sound like it is coming from under the hood but it sounds to be coming from under the vehicle

Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 8:29 PM
  • obxautomedic

Check for proper fluid level in transfer case and proper fluid. If noise continues there is most likely internal parts failure.

Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 8:41 PM
  • Fearlessnight

My father in-law is a mechanic and he is leaning twords the center support bearing does that make any sense at all on making this noise if it was not properly greased.

Sunday, March 22nd, 2009 AT 8:45 PM
  • obxautomedic

Yes it is a good possiblilty. You should be able to use some spray lube to check it.

.

Tuesday, March 24th, 2009 AT 9:20 PM
  • shanti7

I have had this same problem for over 3 years now. No mechanic can figure it out. It seems to be worst in cold weather or when the weather changes. My nox is a 2005 AWD and has 158000 miles on it. I haven' t had any major problems with it besides this noise. It is more annoying than anything. Please let me know if the suggestions helped. Hampton Chevy, where I brought it from, swears there is nothing wrong, but they are crooks and waited until my warranty eneded to want and rry to fix it.

Thursday, February 25th, 2016 AT 6:40 PM