CHEVY CHEVY WITH A WHINING OR WHI

2005 Chevrolet Equinox

Fearlessnight

March, 22, 2009 AT 7:21 PM

Noises problem
2005 Chevy Equinox 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 56000 miles

I recently purchase a 2005 chevrolet equinox LT AWD. There is a high pitched whining noise or whistling noise that will come and go. One thing that is consistant is every time the noise is present once I hit 15 mpr. Or less the noise stops on a Q. When the noise is present if I turn to the left or right the noise stays completely the same. Thinking maybe it was the transmission or engine when the noise was present I threw it into neutral at about 50 mpr. And reved it up a little still no change in the noise. Whatever the noise is it seems to only be associated with wheel speed any ideas?

obxautomedic

March, 22, 2009 AT 7:31 PM

Have you tried reving while in park?

Have you check the condition of the drive belt?

It could also be either the Idler or Tensioner Pulley. To check, with spray lube in hand and vehicle off, find the Idler and tensioner, now spray the center bolt on One of them. Start Vehicle and rev engine if noise is gone for short period then replace pulley. If noise still present repeat proccess on other pulley.

If noise still present spray belt lightly while running and rev if noise gone replace belt.

.

Fearlessnight

March, 22, 2009 AT 8:29 PM

Yes I reved it up in park the noise will not occure it only happens if the wheels are actively moving and I should have stated this earlier but it does not sound like it is coming from under the hood but it sounds to be coming from under the vehicle

obxautomedic

March, 22, 2009 AT 8:41 PM

Check for proper fluid level in transfer case and proper fluid. If noise continues there is most likely internal parts failure.

Fearlessnight

March, 22, 2009 AT 8:45 PM

My father in-law is a mechanic and he is leaning twords the center support bearing does that make any sense at all on making this noise if it was not properly greased.

obxautomedic

March, 24, 2009 AT 9:20 PM

Yes it is a good possiblilty. You should be able to use some spray lube to check it.

.

Coolant Drain and Refill Acura MDX
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro