CHEVY ENGINE STALLS

1988 Chevrolet Corsica

62unibody

August, 10, 2009 AT 12:49 PM

1988 Chevy Corsica 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

This Corsica runs fine then shuts down as though the key is turned off. It usually restarts right away but I notice that the engine seems to run a little rough. I am thinking possible crank position sensor failure.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

Jacobandnickolas

August, 10, 2009 AT 11:00 PM

Has the check engine light come on? Have you checked fuel pump pressure? Ignition module?

62unibody

August, 11, 2009 AT 10:39 AM

No check engine light until it stalls. Fuel pressure is good. Pulled the ignition module yesterday, had it and the coils tested, all good. Replaced the Crankshaft position sensor, engine started, but because of an oil leak fron the oil filter cover gasket, I had to shut it down and replace the gasket. Gasket on order for today. Had to pull oil filter & cover to remove starter to access bolts for coil pack.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 11, 2009 AT 1:35 PM

Let me know if it worked.

62unibody

August, 11, 2009 AT 2:18 PM

Will do.

62unibody

August, 11, 2009 AT 7:47 PM

Still does the same thing. I did notice that it loses throttle when it tries to die. When it starts back up, there is no throttle. AAAhhhhhhh! I feel better now. ; -)

Jacobandnickolas

August, 11, 2009 AT 10:21 PM

I hoped that fixed it for you. Without a check engine light, these can be a pain. WHen you say no throttle, do you mean there is no change in the RPM's when it restarts regardless of how hard you hit the throttle?

62unibody

August, 12, 2009 AT 12:09 AM

When I hit the throttle, there is no change at all. Is there a way to check codes without a reader? Seems I read somewhere that you use a jumper and read the flashes. Another idea I had, one of many, was that if the crankshaft position sensor wiring had a short in it, it may cause this condition also. I don't know if it's possible to bypass the sensor to see if that may be the cause. Aren't electrical issues fun? : -)

Jacobandnickolas

August, 12, 2009 AT 3:55 PM

If you bypass the crank sensor, it won't run at all. As far as codes, check under the dash (driver's side). There should be a connector pointing toward the driver (not plugged in to anything). LEt me know if you find it. You are correct. Using a jumper, you can jump two of the leads and count the number of flashes from the check eng light.

62unibody

August, 12, 2009 AT 8:02 PM

I know where that is at. What about a fuel pump relay failing? Where is it located? A new one pretty cheap. I found four relays on the firewall, but none of them look like the fuel pump relay on autozone website. I'll keep looking though. Thanks for you time, I really appreciate it. I am one of the many unemployed, but will try to donate something when I can.

Jacobandnickolas

August, 13, 2009 AT 12:10 AM

I believe there isa power distribution box under the hood. THe relay should be there.

I'm glad to help. I just hope that what I'm telling you is helping.