2007 CHEVY COBALT 2007 COBALT LS - EXCESSIVE ROAD NOISE

• walshje
  • 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2007 Chevy Cobalt 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 20000 miles

I strongly suspect a bad wheel bearing on my 2007 Cobalt - it has excessive road noise. Gets louder from 25 up to 75MPH, doesn't change when I turn one direction or the other. How do I determine which bearing is bad, it's not obviously louder from driver to passenger side.

Do I need a puller to remove the hub or a press to put the new one back in? I've done major repairs before but have avoided bearings due to some manuals saying that the hub needs pressed into its' mount on the car.

Tuesday, June 23rd, 2009 AT 8:06 PM

• Jacobandnickolas

If it doesn't change sounds when turning one way or the other, chances are it isn't a bearing. Do you have any leaks coming from the axle seal? Are the tires cupped, chopped?

Let me know.

Thursday, July 9th, 2009 AT 9:49 PM
  • walshje

Turns out it was passengers side bearing. Jacked up entire front end, slowly turned each wheel independently. Drivers side felt and sounded a bit different (just slightly). Replaced it and noise is gone. Just remembered that I hit a curb hard with that corner last winter during an ice storm. It makes sense.

Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 7:51 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

I'm glad you got it fixed. I'm surprised the sound didn't change when turning. THat is usually the indicator that it's a wheel bearing. I thought it may have been an output bearing from the trans since it didn't change sounds.

Regardless, take care and thanks for using 2carpros. Com

Friday, July 10th, 2009 AT 9:14 PM