CHEVY CANT FIND SECOND TIMING MARK ON BALANCE

1998 Chevrolet Cheyenne

greg66

September, 11, 2010 AT 6:17 PM

1998 Chevy Cheyenne V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 147000 miles

I removed the distributor and neglected to mark the position for rotor and base. Found installation procedure on web but am a little confused on some of the details. The first thing is that I can only seem to find one mark on the balancer Am I missing Something? In addition the only paint mark on the distributor is at the top right by the base where it contacts the intake manifold. When I index it to this mark the rotor seems to be in the position for a v-6. Any help to help clarify this would be greatly appreciated.

hmac300

September, 14, 2010 AT 6:03 PM

Your balancer could be broke is maybe why you can' tfind it. But you have to get it running to check for that. You should bring the engine up to #1 by feeling the compression. When you feel it come up, place the distributor rotor at about 11: 30. It should actually point to #1. Then place the rest of the dist on the mark on the intake. After you get the truck running, mark the balancer with chalk or paint and give hte truck a quick rev and see if they are still lined up. If not then the rubber in the balancer is broken.

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro