CHEVY REMOVING REAR DRUMS

2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

bogie71

February, 23, 2008 AT 9:01 PM

Brakes problem
2005 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 55000 miles

Is there a trick or easy way to remove the rear brake drums to replace the shoes?

blackop555

February, 23, 2008 AT 9:45 PM

I assume yours are froze on, first thing to check is to see if the hub turns freely, if so then the brakes arnt locked on and you should then spray around the drum where it meets the axle with some penetrating oil, then if possible get a cutting torch or a regular torch. And heat it up about red hot then wait for it to loose the cherry color then pound on the outer part of the drum and it shoudl come right off.

The Factory Man

March, 3, 2008 AT 10:26 AM

I don't have a Service Manual handy to verify this but some drums have 2 threaded holes on each side of the hub flange that are threaded. My Tracker and Silverado have these holes. The holes on my cars are threaded 8mm, can't remember if it is course or fine thread, sorry. These holes allow you to thread the bolts in and use them to EVENLY pull the drums off. Take a look and if you have the holes go to the hardware store and get some bolts.

dave29951

April, 25, 2011 AT 12:03 PM

Just did mine. Got a sledge hammer and gave two or three good thumps and off they came. You do need to put the wheel nuts back on just to protect the stud threads when you hammer.

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
ABS Computer Replacement
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front