2003 Chevy Cavalier How many quarts of transmission fluid?

DONNASENSKE1964
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

2003 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 64000 miles

I DO NOT HAVE THE OWNERS MANUEL FOR THIS CAR AND WANT TO CHANGE THE TRANSMISSION FLUID. THANKS !

Sunday, July 6th, 2008 AT 9:42 PM

2CARPROS KEN

Hey DONNASENSKE1964,

The entire transmission takes about 12 quarts but if you are just doing the pan and filter it will take about 5.

Here is a guide showing you how to do the job if you are replacing the filter.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

You will need to raise the vehicle to gain access to the drain plug on your trans axle. Place a container underneath the plug (make sure it can hold 6 quarts of fluid). Replace the fluid with Dexron VI or equivalent ATF (please note of any metal fragments in the transmission fluid as this will indicate the level of wear). Fill to 75% capacity to account for any fluid left in the transmission. Move through all gear selections while engine is running 2 times pausing for 10 seconds between selections. Place back into park and recheck for proper fill while the engine is idling. Take it for a drive at both stop and go traffic and on expressway to ensure fluid has properly circulated. Upon return, Recheck again while idling in park.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 7:35 AM
ESERVI01
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • MERGED

2003 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 87400 miles

I am debating changing the transmission fluid on my 2003 chevy cavalier. It has 87,000 miles on it and I'm not sure if the fluid has ever been changed. There is no burnt smell or signs of slipping, but I've read that replacing the old fluid with new fluid could create a problem. The majority of the miles are highway miles and the car has been driven very conservatively. Should I change the tranny fluid?

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 7:36 AM
DOCFIXIT
  • MERGED

Fluid change will not create problem not changing will. GM says 100K miles

+1
Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 7:36 AM
VINCIA1
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • MERGED

Greetings. Our car was driven in stop-and-go traffic without incident today for roughly forty minutes, then it was in the garage with the engine shut off for a half hour, then it was driven roughly a mile in stop and go traffic when it stalled completely and now will not start (it won't turn over completely). The man who towed the car home mentioned the assumption that the problem is the ignition within the last two weeks we had the transmission fluid flushed and replaced, and we read that a flush can reveal transmission problems that were not noticed before.

We called the dealership to make an appointment and the first thing the service associate said is we would be looking at a minimum of $125 for diagnostics, and we don't know whether or not the best thing to do is just drop off the car and see what they tell us.

Thanks for reviewing this!

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 7:36 AM
SATURNTECH9
  • MERGED

Yes a transmission flush can clog the pressure control solenoid etc. Also move debris from on place to another causing other issues.I dont belive in transmission flushes. So you want to know if you should drop the car off at the dealer?My question is were you thinking about trying to figure this issue out yourself.I dont see how a transmission flush can cause the symptoms you have though.

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 7:36 AM
VINCIA1
  • 2003 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
  • MERGED

Greetings. I recently went to Jiffy Lube and received "Automatic Transmission Service Fluid Exchange." After some quick online searches, there is a lot of advice against doing a "flush" as it can damage the transmission. I called Jiffy Lube and they confirmed the service is classified as a "complete flush." Should I be concerned?

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 7:36 AM
  • MERGED

Not unless you have a problem. Too many people experience some minor transmission shifting issue and think a flush will solve some mechanical problem that has already developed. All the flush will do is remove varnish buildup and debris.

In some cases a problem resulting right after a flush can be attributed to something that was worn and that wear was masked by varnish buildup. Cleaning that varnish out exposes the underlying wear that leads to a problem. The flush, in that case, did not CAUSE the problem. It merely made it apparent. The natural response from uninformed people is to assume it's a new problem caused by the flush. 50 percent of customers will understand that explanation. The other 50 percent will assume the mechanic is lying and refuse to listen to the explanation because it's going to result in repairs someone else isn't going to pay for.

My limited experience with flushes is if you already have a problem, a flush usually isn't going to solve it. If you don't have a problem, a flush might be good maintenance but it is not likely to create a problem.

Tuesday, February 14th, 2017 AT 7:36 AM