CHEVY FAN MOTOR

2003 Chevrolet Cavalier

Mikehay0341

September, 28, 2010 AT 12:09 AM

Engine Cooling problem
2003 Chevy Cavalier 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

i recently started overheating in stop and go traffic. I noticed that thought the engine was very hot and the AC was on but the fan was not turning. I checked the voltage at the fan plug while the engine was running (AC on) and I got just over 13 Volts so I assumed the fan motor was bad and I replaced it. Immediately after I installed the new fan everything seemed to be back to normal, (engine hot or AC on, fan running). After several days I am getting higher than normal engine temp again. Again I checked fan with ac on and it is no longer turning. When I replaced the fan I was very careful not to over torque the bolt holding the fan to the fan motor shaft. I am wondering if there is another problem with the system that is causing my fan motor to go out. Is the 13V to high? I spun the fan with my hand and it seems to turn freely.

Thanks for your help.

September, 28, 2010 AT 4:13 AM

Inspect and test the fan relay.

Mikehay0341

September, 28, 2010 AT 10:17 AM

OK i'll check it out. My relay has 4 pins that are numbered, do you know which two pins are the source and which to are the fan switch?
Also, if my relay was bad would I still be getting voltage at the fan connector?

September, 28, 2010 AT 4:24 PM

Try swapping the relay with a like one-if it fixes the problem replace it, if it continues its either the red and light blue wire is shorted together or the computer control of the fan relay

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_fan_12.jpg

Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Thermostat Replacement Chevrolet Blazer
Thermostat Replacement Chrysler PT Cruiser
Radiator Replacement Kia Sportage