2002 Chevy Cavalier Vibration

BLANGMAN
  • 2002 CHEVROLET CAVALIER

My car has recently began to vibrate at high speeds, (Around 100km/hr) the alignment looks good, and the wheels are in excellent shape. The car drives well at low speeds, but once I hit the highway it vibrates, I feel it in the steering wheel and the gas peddle.

Any ideas?

P.S. I live in Canada and we just had a wicked snow storm last night, I drove in in last night and the car was fine, but the day afterwards it begins to vibrate.
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 8:50 PM

SERVICE WRITER
Your last sentence seals the deal for me. Maybe ;-)

Get it thawed out or get the snow and ice out of the rims as they are causing temporary wheel weights to throw the wheel out of balance.
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 9:16 PM
BLANGMAN
Thanks Paul,

I drove it earlier in the day when it was milder out the car was fine, but when the sun set and the temperature dropped thats when the car began to vibrate at high speeds. Do you still think it's the ice?

Also after your suggestion I cleared all the snow and ice from the rims, and checked the tire pressure. Although this helpped a pit, it still vibrated.

Another symptom is when I go to even higher speeds, say 120km/hr it continues to vibrate, however when I return back to 100 the vibration lessens. Around 85km or less there is no vibration at all.
-1
Sunday, March 9th, 2008 AT 9:32 PM
SERVICE WRITER
We had a car in the shop last week that was in the heated area for an hour. Some of the ice/snow melted and shifted down. We finished with our work, test drove it and parked it. The mixture refroze and a vibration was present. Back in the shop it came and the rims needed to be thoroughly defrosted.

Think of how heavy one oz is. Not much. Thats all it takes to give a vibration and there is probably more than that on the rim in ice weight unless the rims have been completely defrosted.

Wheel vibration from unbalanced rims are most prevelent at higher speeds such as yours.

Never say never, but 90% sure this is the case.
Monday, March 10th, 2008 AT 5:16 AM