1998 Chevy Cavalier Cooling fan

ALBACORE00
  • 1998 CHEVROLET CAVALIER
According to the manual the cooling fan should come on if the engine heats up to 3/4 on the temp guage. We replaced the relay last year and it worked for 6 months then stopped.
The car was equipped with ac which doesn't work but if you switched on the ac button the dash the fan would run to cool the radiators. I put in a new radiator 2 weeks ago and the car runs cool until I have to stop and idle. She does cool down again eventually but I'm concerned about the stress on the head gasket. Is there a short?
Thanks,
Pete
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 3:07 PM

SATURNTECH9
So the fan come's on when you turn on the a/c your saying?If that's the case I would be looking at the coolant temp sensor. When the engine temp reaches 223 degree's and hotter the fan should come on.
-1
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 4:10 PM
ALBACORE00
No the fan does not come on at all. Would it still be the coolant temp sensor?
+1
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 5:04 PM
SATURNTECH9
So does your a/c clutch engage at all when you turn on the a/c?
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 5:22 PM
ALBACORE00
No the ac clutch does not come on.
-1
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 7:05 PM
SATURNTECH9
Ok here's what I want you to do I want you to disconnect the a/c pressure switch then start the car with the a/c turned on then jump the the a/c pressure switch connector across the two terminal's it should turn the a/c compressor on and the fan should come on also. This will test the fan motor wiring relay all that stuff. Let me know if the cooling fan come's on when you do this if it does then were going to take a look at the coolant temp sensor.I emailed you the diagram of where the sensor is on both the 2.2 and the 2.4 engine since I don't know which one you have. Which engine do you have?I emailed it to your personal email.
Monday, June 28th, 2010 AT 8:31 PM
ALBACORE00
Thanks,
I got the schematics. When you say jump the terminals do you mean the battery or where I unplug the sensor?
I'm being extremely literal here. Also my ac does not function at all.
-1
Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 11:36 AM
SATURNTECH9
I mean with the a/c on the car idling connector disconnected jump across the two terminal's of the a/c pressure switch connector that goes to the switch for a few second's does the fan come on?
+2
Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 2:42 PM
ALBACORE00
Okay, please bear with me. The schematic is a little fuzzy. Where would the ac pressure connector be on the 2.2?
-1
Tuesday, June 29th, 2010 AT 3:14 PM
SATURNTECH9
It's going to be on the a/c line by the alternator.
Wednesday, June 30th, 2010 AT 12:38 AM