WHINNING NOISE WHILE TURNING?

Chevrolet Camaro

bmwowner

May, 29, 2006 AT 3:46 PM

I have a 97 Camaro Z28 that is starting to make a slight whine when I turn the wheel. It sound louder while parked than when I am in motion. The noise seems to sound like the noise you get when you turn your wheels lock to lock. It sounded like the noise was coming from up top, but it is actually coming from underneath. There are no signs of leaks around the Power steering pump or the rack and pinion. The steering doesn't seem to be any harder to turn than normal. Could the Powering Steering pump BE going bad? Thanks

syncrait

May, 29, 2006 AT 4:04 PM

Im assuming you already checked the fluid level in the PS pump

bmwowner

May, 29, 2006 AT 4:06 PM

Yep, forgot to mention that. : D When I did check the reservoir, after I removed the cap it hissed at me. If that means anything?

bmwowner

May, 30, 2006 AT 12:42 PM

Put the car on jack stands, took off the wheels and turned the steering wheel lock to lock. NO noise. Put the car back on the ground and the noise is back?

syncrait

May, 30, 2006 AT 4:51 PM

Was the fluid in the pump at the required level

bmwowner

May, 30, 2006 AT 8:16 PM

It was a little low. I did however take it to my local mechanic and he thinks it's the upper ball joint. He said that it was a simple bolt. I just need to make the time to do replace it.

Power Steering Pump Replacement Chevy Tahoe
Steering Pump Replacement Mercedes Benz
Power Steering Fluid Change Kia Sportage
Power Steering Fluid Flush Acura MDX 2000-200
Power Steering Pump Pulley Removal
Power Steering Fluid Flush Chevrolet Blazer