Won't go in reverse

COZEY11
  • 2001 CHEVROLET BLAZER
Transmission problem 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 103000 miles

I just bought my truck from a dealership about 3 months ago and the service light has come on and off a few times. I had to replace the alternator about a month after I got it and everything's been fine since. My car kinda vibrates when I go about 85 or 90 mph but I dont do that unless I'm on an interstate so I've ignored that. I was driving my truck yesterday to a friends house and it was completely fine on the way there - I put in park waiting for him to come out and when I went to put it into reverse - It wouldn't go. So I just turned around going off the road and then when I hit the gas - It made like a screaming sound - He said he thought it was a belt. We pulled over at a gas station and I got gas and he checked everything and couldn't see anything wrong. Well when we tried to drive it again - It now won't go over 35 mph and it is now stuck in 4 wheel drive. And won't go into reverse. I'm taking it in tomorrow but could it really be the whole transmission? The trucks in good shape and even the battery is only 5 months old. It has 103,000 miles on it but I didnt think that was enough to have to replace a whole transmission. I was never ever hard on my truck and when we bought it from the dealership - He printed out reports and stuff saying everything was new. My brother checked all the fuses - Nothing. Is there anything else it could be?
Sunday, February 14th, 2010 AT 6:27 PM

KEN

It sounds like you have a gear selector position sensor that has gone out not telling the computer the transmission is in reverse so no command is given. But to be sure here sia guide to help you see what you are in for when testing the sensor.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-neutral-safety-switch-works

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Check out the diagrams below to see what it is located and what it looks like.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 8:01 PM
VAFIREFIGHTER32
  • 2001 CHEVROLET BLAZER
2001 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 168900 miles

My 2001 Chevy Blazer lost reverse all of sudden, I had no warning that is was going out. The other gears in the transmission is working, including the 4 wheel drive. Any suggestions on where to start to fix the problem.
Tuesday, November 28th, 2017 AT 8:03 PM (Merged)
DENNYP
You will need to tear down the transmission and inspect the reaction shell gear for damage.
VALLEYOHGIRL
  • 2000 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I have a 2000 blazer with 256,000 (mostly highway) 4X4 automatic with a 4.3 liter engine. Have had no signs of anything going wrong and yesterday my reverse went out. Have all other gears but no reverse. Please help with what the problem could be. Thank you.
MERLIN2021
You need a new tranny! Reverse is always the first to go, requires more internal pressure for reverse!
-2
VALLEYOHGIRL
Alright, just wanted to update you on what the problem really was. Didn't need a new tranny. The sungear for reverse went out, yes it was in the tranny. Had people guote $1100-1500 to fix it but I got it fixed for $500 that's plus tip, lol. Sungear was stripped and that's why I lost reverse with no signs of any problem. Mechanic said with 260,000 miles on car, the tranny looked awesome! Clean! Ok just wanted to update you guys on what happened in case anyone else has this problem. :D :D
+3
KARENT121
  • 1999 CHEVROLET BLAZER
1999 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 123, 00 miles

Last night I made a sudden swerve to keep a car from running into me, and I heard a whining type noise. After that transmission is winding out and will not go into reverse. Has transmission fluid
SWILLIAMS
OOPS, Hate to say it but a rebuild is in your future. The whining noise and lack of reverse coupled with the trans not shifting properly sounds like the infamous sun gear shell failure. The noise you heard was the teeth stripping off the gear at the end of the shell. Not a good thing but it is common. Have it replaced with an after market heavy duty part.
Basically your looking at about $1,000-1,500.00 for a good rebuild.
WAYNEA69
  • 1993 CHEVROLET BLAZER
I have a 93 s-10 blazer with the 4l60e trans. Always had a shutter in reverse over 1000 rpm(owned for 5 yrs), I backed in shut it off, now have no reverse except at idle(barely move). Is there a pressure solenoid I can replace to fix instead of replacing entire trans? Changed fluid and filter, added lucas trans fix
Have the reverse band checked.
LONGSONNY33
  • 2000 CHEVROLET BLAZER
2000 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130000 miles

I replaced the Trans at 90k with a 60k trans 2 yrs ago and now I have no reverse and the first gear goes to high and I have to let off the gas for it to shift?
Can this be repaired or is it a have to replace situation?
DOCFIXIT
It can be rebuilt but maybe cheaper to replace. The upshift could be shift solenoid and repairable but no reverse indicates internal fault.
WENDY MONDRAGON
  • 1997 CHEVROLET BLAZER
1997 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Issue started with a loud clanking noise that sounded like it was coming from the belt tensioner. My teenage son didnt report it 4 couple weeks car getting harder to start and now won't go in reverse!
JACK42
Will the truck roll freely back and forth in neutral? Trying to eliminate a brake problem or rear end problem, if it does roll freely and reverse wont work, the engine isnt at fault, the trans is going out. If it wont roll, start by lifting and supporting the rear, and removing the tires to inspect the brakes. If ok, unbolt drive shaft and try to turn the rear end
-1
GERBRANDT04
  • 1996 CHEVROLET BLAZER
1996 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

my 96 blazer acts like it is in neutral when in reverse, and when in drive I have to take my foot off the accelerator before it will shift. Any ideas?
+2
Chances are there is a problem with a shift solenoid or the valve body itself. Has the check engine light ever come on?
GERBRANDT04
Unfortunately there have been other issues with this vehichle and the check engine light is almost always on. Would this cause the no reverse situation? I don't know if it makes a difference but every once in awhile when I would back up there was a bang and a jolt
ALLIED
  • 2000 CHEVROLET BLAZER
2000 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 115000 miles

At the same time I was putting the vehicle in reverse I hit the 4-wheel drive button and now the car will not reverse. It will go forward and shift with no problem. What's wrong and is it expensive to repair?

Thank you
+1
RHALL77
Sounds like a internal problem. Take it to your local shop and have it looked at.
-1
SLEZ
  • 1991 CHEVROLET BLAZER
  • 200 MILES
Shifts into reverse then will not move , it only has 60# of line pressure when in reverse