Brake lights not working

A45
  • 1996 CHEVROLET BLAZER

Electrical problem 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 121000 miles

Blinkers function, fuses are not blown and brake switch at top of brake pedal has power when pedal is depressed. All three brake lights fail to operate.

Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 10:57 AM

Hello, orange wire at the brake switch is hot all the time, feed to the switch, white wire goes hot when the switch is activated, feed to the brake lites.

Put something heavy on the brake pedal, check for voltage on the white wire. Does the high mount brake light work?

It looks like you might have a bulb out for the upper light and a turn signal switch out for the other two.

Here is a guide that will show you how to test for a power loss.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Here is a brake light wiring diagram so it will make it easier to find

Please let us know what you find.

Cheers

+1
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 11:25 AM
A45

High mount light also not working. All info tells me it is either brake switch at top of brake pedal or turn signal indicator. Will voltage test this evening.

+1
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 11:30 AM

Yeah, it is starting to look like the switch, check the circuits. The high-mount brake lite isn't wired through the turn signal switch, the lower brake lites are, I believe.

+1
Monday, April 6th, 2009 AT 3:51 PM
A45

Thanks for the info on the wires. I checked the switch. 12v at orange wire, 12v at white wire when switch was activated. Turn signals stopped working, back up lights are fine. Tail lights work with light switch in on position. I'm beginning to think I have a short on the brown wire or the turn signal switch in steering column is bad. Intend on checking continuity of brown wire next. Thanks for the leads.

I checked each portion of the circuit and found the turn signal switch had a short and replaced it everything works fine. Through reading the numerous forum it appears this is a consistent issue with the 94-98 Blazers. Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, April 7th, 2009 AT 5:29 AM

Please use 2CarPros anytime, we are here to help. Please tell a friend.

Cheers, Ken

Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 8:47 AM
RHAYES12
  • 1996 CHEVROLET BLAZER

Brakes problem
1996 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 130, 00 miles

No brake lights when applying brakes. Replaced brake light switch, still no brake lights. The lights will come on for a few second then go off when you first apply pressure to brake ped.?

Friday, November 17th, 2017 AT 5:28 PM (Merged)

Inspect and test the Turn/Hazard Switch-the power comes from the brake switch thru the T/H switch then to the lights.

+1
FEBRUARIE02
  • 1996 CHEVROLET BLAZER

1996 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 159000 miles

brake lights not working, fuse OK, emergency lights not working, fuse OK.

Inspect and test the brake switch

INTERNETMECHANIC

Does the high-mount brake lite work? If it doesn't, use a voltage tester at the stop/hazzard fuse. Even if the fuse is good, if no voltage, the circuit is dead.

CAMERONJONES1
  • 1995 CHEVROLET BLAZER

1995 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 140000 miles

I have a 1995 S10 Blazer, The Upper Center Brake Light Works Fine, The Bottom Two Brake Lights Dont work. But the turn signal lights work, and the rear parking lights work too.

Get the turn and hazard switch tested out the power for the bottom brake light has to go thru the turn and hazard switch to get to the bottom brake lights.

JENNA515
  • 1995 CHEVROLET BLAZER

Brakes problem
1995 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 177, xx miles

hello I need help. My brake lights dont work!How do I go about fixing them?

Check stop/hazard fuse no.1 15amp-if okay could be the brake switch and turn/hazard switch

AMEY01
  • 1995 CHEVROLET BLAZER

Checked fuses, bulbs replaced brake switch and still not working. (Top rear light also does not function)
All other lights, signals, hazards work. Any advice?

CAR-MAN145
  • 327 POSTS

Both rear brake lights go through the blinker switch so you mite have a problem there but the 3rd brake light comes straight off the brake light switch so if the fuses are good then you have a bad brake light switch(and I have gotten new bad parts before) it has to be the wires to the 3rd brake light or the bulbs or connectors. Coming out of the brake light switch the white wire should have power when the brake pedal is pushed and the orange wire should be your power in

AMEY01

Checked all wires, fuses, bulbs and still no brake lights (rear 3). Is blinker switch repairable or do we need to replace whole assembly (remove steering wheel or?). Also tried two new brake light switches (Duralast brand). Any advice greatly appreciated.

CAR-MAN145
  • 327 POSTS

Yes you have to replace the blinker switch can't fix them and that's where I would go now

LISA A SAUNDERS
  • 1995 CHEVROLET BLAZER

Yes, my brake lights, blinker lights, and hazard lights have stopped working. I had a trailer hooked up to it early in the day and worked fine. Later they stopped working unplugged trailer checked fuses. I still have running lights but not brake hazard and blinkers.

Friday, November 17th, 2017 AT 5:29 PM (Merged)

Check fuse 1 and 16 in dash box one is for t/s other for hazard/brakes. Then check to see if powr is going through multi function switch. You can check white wire going in and yellow and dark/grn going out if nothing going out switch is bad. White wire is brakes so brakes will need to be applied. If power goes out then it's a short, bad ground. Ground wire for rear lights is on LH rear of frame.