'92 Astro van, horn problem

4TWENTYMAN
  • 1992 CHEVROLET ASTRO
The horn has suddenly stopped working. Tested by connecting the horn directly to the battery & works just fine. Fuse for the horn in the fuse box is fine. Took voltage reading on the terminal wire where it connects to the horn & there is no voltage. Removed the plastic horn cover on the steering wheel, inspected the horn wire & contact, which looks fine. What else can I check? Is there a horn relay, if so what's it look like & where's it located? What else could be causing this? THANKS in advance! ?
Friday, March 3rd, 2006 AT 3:39 PM

CMS
The wire that connects to the horn could be bad run new wires let me know
Friday, March 3rd, 2006 AT 9:15 PM
4TWENTYMAN
Thanks, I'll try that as soon as I can & let you know.
-1
Saturday, March 4th, 2006 AT 1:46 PM
KENVCR
You said you tested the voltage. When you took the cover off of the sterring wheel, did you remove the horn pad from the sterring wheel? There is a single wire that feeds to the pad, detach it and test for:
1) power 12volts or so
2) continuity

It is likely to be your horn pad. As it ages, especially in the hotter climates this will distort and warp. When you press the pad contact is not being made.
Try replacing with a used horn pad. Pay as little as possible. If this does not work you will not be out a lot of cash. New ones from retail stores/ dealership are not returnable because it is considered an electrical part.
Monday, March 6th, 2006 AT 12:20 AM
4TWENTYMAN
Yes, I did remove the horn pad from the steering wheel. There's a metal strip that's connected to the bottom of the pad, which makes contact with the big nut that holds the steering wheel on when the horn pad is pressed causing the horn to blow. There is also a wire connected to a terminal on the bottom of the horn pad, but I didn't think to check for voltage there. I will do this asap.

I did take a wire with an alligator clip at each end & connected one end to the metal clip on the horn pad & the other end to the steering wheel nut (to similate pressing the horn pad) & the horn didn't blow.
Monday, March 6th, 2006 AT 10:58 AM
ME113
There are two fuses that controll the horn did you check both?
Monday, March 6th, 2006 AT 2:56 PM
4TWENTYMAN
No, was only aware of the one fuse in the main fuse box under the dash. Where's the other one located? And thanks for your responses!
Tuesday, March 7th, 2006 AT 10:53 AM