2000 CHEVY ASTRO VAN WON'T MOVE

• smilindave
  • 2000 Chevrolet Astro

2000 Chevy Astro 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 187000 miles

2000 astro van started making a whining noise while driving and started shifting hard from first to second. Changed fluid and filter. It seemed to help a little, but then it started having trouble shifting into higher gears. If I left off the gas for a second or two, it would shift. Finally I ended up with only first and reverse. The fluid was black and burnt. I installed a used transmission and torque converter. Now the transmission will not engage in gear at all.

Sunday, July 11th, 2010 AT 11:46 AM

• mhpautos

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation,

Do you know for sure that the replacement transmission was in good working condition before installing, did you service this replacement transmission before installation, is there enough trans oil in to establish drive? Is the selector actually selecting drive at the box?

Monday, July 12th, 2010 AT 5:49 PM
  • smilindave

Thanks for your reply. I removed the transmission and checked to make sure the shaft was turning. Upon further inspection, I found that the tabs that the torque converter slide into were both broken. I am returning to the dealer for a refund. Again thanks for the reply. Great site you have on here. I will surely be using you again.

Monday, July 12th, 2010 AT 10:04 PM
  • mhpautos

OK, thank you for the feed back and thank you for using 2carpros.

Tuesday, July 13th, 2010 AT 3:52 AM