Changing the timing belt on a 4g15 interference engine (SOHC)

JOEY MAHARAJ
  • 2001 MITSUBISHI LANCER
Concerning changing the timing belt on a interference 4g15 engine/ cs3 Mitsubishi Lancer, sohc. Did some research on it. So here goes: your loosening the tensioner to take out the belt but before you do that, I notice the timing marks does be all over when switch off the engine, do I mark off the timing marks with a metal marker on cam and crank pulley as it is seen or do I start and stop the engine until it lines up TDC then mark it off? Does the cam and crank pulley move when I loosen the tensioner pulley? I know in interference engines you just take off the belt without moving cam and crank pulley and take out the belt, but do you have to rotate it close wise back to TDC before you put on back the belt? Also do I need to torque down the tensioner when tensioning the belt and what are the torque specs for the tensioner if it has? Thank you for taking the time to answer.
Friday, November 8th, 2019 AT 11:36 AM

MASTERWRENCH
I've attached the complete timing belt removal, installation and adjustment procedures for your vehicle. To answer your question regarding mark alignment, the best thing to do is rotate the engine by hand(socket on the crank pulley bolt) until both sets of marks are lined up. Also, make sure you only turn the engine in the clockwise direction. All the bolt torque specs are shown in the last attachment.

Let me know if you have any further questions.
+1
Saturday, November 9th, 2019 AT 7:39 AM
JOEY MAHARAJ
When they mean 23+-2N-m and17+-2ft-lb, how much torque in ft pounds is it? 15, 16, or 17 ft lb. What is the specs for the bolt on the crank pulley not seeing that in the diagram.
Wednesday, November 13th, 2019 AT 4:53 AM
MASTERWRENCH
In the example you listed above, 17 +/- 2 ft/lbs means your target torque should be 17 ft/lbs. The +/- 2 means it can be as high as 19 or as low as 15. Most torque specs provide a range shown in this manner. Nm stands for Newton Meters and is the metric equivalent torque spec. The torque spec for the crank pulley bolt is 95 ft. Lbs.
+1
Wednesday, November 13th, 2019 AT 3:14 PM
JOEY MAHARAJ
Trying to send a video here, not seeing any timing mark tdc for the cam
Thursday, November 14th, 2019 AT 7:08 AM