It sounds like something went together wrong. I believe you are referring to the ignition lock cylinder case. I'm going to provide the directions for replacement. The attached pics will correlate with the directions. Look through them and see if you missed anything.
2005 Chevy Truck Equinox AWD V6-3.4L VIN F
Ignition Lock Cylinder Case
Vehicle Steering and Suspension Steering Steering Column Service and Repair Removal and Replacement Ignition Lock Cylinder Case
IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER CASE
Ignition Lock Cylinder Case Replacement
1. Disable the SIR system.
2. Remove the steering wheel.
3. Remove the steering column trim covers.
4. Remove the multifunction levers.
5. Disconnect the housing electrical connectors.
6. Disengage the retaining tabs and remove the park lock cable assembly from the housing.
7. Remove the lock housing bolts.
8. Turn the ignition key to the ACC position.
9. Separate the lock housing (lock cylinder case) from the multifunction lever bracket. Slide the bracket from the column.
10. Remove the ignition switch screws.
11. Remove the ignition switch.
1. Ensure the ignition switch is in the ACC position.
2. Notice: Position the ignition switch to housing and install the screws and tighten.
Tighten the screws to 2.5 Nm (22 inch lbs.).
3. Pre-assemble the lock housing and multifunction lever bracket. Hand tighten the bolts leaving approximately 3.2 mm (0.125 inch) gap.
4. Slide the bracket onto the column. Ensure lock tab fully engages into the column slot.
5. Hand tighten the lower bolt until snug.
6. Hand tighten the upper bolt until snug.
7. Tighten the lower bolt, then the upper bolt.
Tighten the bolts to 8 Nm (71 inch lbs.).
8. Snap the ignition lock cable onto the ignition module.
9. Connect the ignition housing electrical connectors.
10. Important: Ensure both locking tabs are seated.
Install the multifunction levers.
11. Install the steering column trim covers.
12. Install the SIR coil.
13. Install the steering wheel.
14. Enable the SIR system.
If this isn't what you were referring to, let me know. Also, let me know if you have other questions.
Take care and God Bless,
Images (Click to enlarge)
Friday, March 5th, 2021 AT 9:11 PM