Car wont Move in Drive or Reverse

CCAR26
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
When I was attempting to back my car out of a parking spot a few days ago the car moved maybe an inch in Reverse. It moved fine in Drive but Reverse just kept moving a few inches.

Managed to get the car home and put it in Park. Next day, car would not move in Reverse at all, and when I shifted to Drive it also would not move.

I had the transmission fluid changed a month ago, and literally the next day after having an oil leak repaired this problem happened.

I also checked the transmission fluid and aside from it being a half quart low it looks okay.

When I shift gears I cannot feel it engage except when into Neutral and Park. In Drive or Reverse the rpm's revs but no movement.

After doing some research online I of course checked the shifter cable and all those components but they look fine. Also if you keep shifting into gear, the car eventually will move but only say once out of twenty shifts.

And now when I first start the car, there is a strange noise coming from the drivers side that goes away after idling for about five minutes.

The car also can be physically moved when in Neutral.

I am just so frustrated because the shop I use told me I probably need a transmission rebuild and after sinking over a grand into this car on various repairs I just do not have the money right now.

Any help/suggestions appreciated!
Thursday, December 1st, 2016 AT 3:07 AM

It sounds like one of two things has happened. First does the shift lights move when you are changing gears? If not then you need to replace the transmission range sensor which is located on the transmission near the shift cable hook up. Next is if the filter was not installed correctly with the right O ring or if they forgot the O ring the fluid will not be drawn into the transmission via the fluid pump.

Here is a guide to see what I am talking about for a correct transmission service.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

Here is the transmission range sensor location. its #118

Check out the diagrams (Below)

Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.

Cheers
+3
Thursday, December 1st, 2016 AT 5:53 AM
CCAR26
You were right the filter did not have an O ring so I replaced it and now the transmission works great! Thanks for the tip this site is great :)
+3
Monday, December 5th, 2016 AT 5:03 AM
CDHOLMES4
  • 2006 CHEVROLET IMPALA
The car is not catching the second gear. It goes into reverse with no problems. I code reader was placed on the car and there were no codes that indicated it was transmission. The results were for egr valve and catalyst monitor. Would this have anything to do with the transmission not working.
Friday, December 28th, 2018 AT 10:50 AM (Merged)
JACK42
Then the trans could have an internal problem that the PCM cant see (mechanical). Might want to have a trans shop do a diagnostic on it, just to be sure
JOEL1226
  • 2009 CHEVROLET IMPALA
My car won't go in reverse and its leaking motor oil and transmission fluid what could it be and is it a quick fix
-1
This may come as a surprise, but we can't see what's leaking over a computer. There's no way to tell what it will take to fix it, and if we knew, we don't get involved with costs here because there's way too many variables. GM likes to force owners to buy complete assemblies which is a more expensive way to repair a vehicle than repairing those assemblies. There could be something as simple as a leaking cooler hose, or something as serious as a leaking front pump seal.

You didn't say if the leaks are just a few drips per day or if there's a large puddle wherever you park. You didn't give any clues to which area of the car you see the leakage. Start by looking for the highest spot you see leakage on the engine or transmission. Often what leaks will run along a lip or ledge and run down in an area different than where the leak originates, but the fluids always run down.
+1
BIGJFERGY222
  • 2003 CHEVROLET IMPALA
The transmission will not go in drive but will go in all other gears. Has to be put in 1st gear to take off. Has to be shifted manually. Go's in reverse no problem.
Have a trans guy scan this it may be a wiring issue or a tcm which controls the trans. It also may be a roller clutch inside trans which helps you go forward in drive. When you put it in manual low it skips that and uses a clutch pak to move it forward.
+5
MICHAELAM
  • 2008 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Hello, this morning I was stopped at a red light when the light turned green I stepped on the gas and the car started shaking and making a grinding noise. The car would not move so I placed the car in park and the grinding and niose stopped. I put the car back in drive and the noise and shaking continued. It was also doing this in reverse and neutral. I pushed the car off to the side of the road and noticed a clicking noise as I w s s pushing the car. Please help. Thanks
WRENCHER1
Check the front C/V axles and see if one of them came out of the trans or just broke.
MICHAELAM
Thank you, will do.

Sponsored links