Car keeps dying while driving

ROSS35
  • 2004 CHRYSLER PT CRUISER
My car keeps on dying while I am driving it. Sometimes it will start right away but most of times it wont. Do you happen to know what's causing the problem? My mechanic already change most of electrical and hose that may be the cause of it. But still does not work.
Thursday, August 4th, 2016 AT 12:33 PM

JIS001
Have you had the vehicle scanned for codes? If you have codes could you post them on here. A common fault I have seen on this is the crankshaft and camshaft sensor failing. During a crank no start, with a scanner you can read live data, I would look to see if there is an RPM reading. If it reads 0 while cranking then the crank sensor is faulty. But again, if you have fault codes then please post them up.
Thursday, August 4th, 2016 AT 1:22 PM
RENEE
Hi ROSS35,

If you decide you would like to conduct the scan yourself here is a link to an article that features written step by step instructions and pictures explaining how to do the scan yourself, also I have included a link to our YouTube channel with a how to video on code scanning. Most scanners are inexpensive to purchase, you can purchase one online from sites like Amazon.com

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

https://youtu.be/YV3TRZwer8k

Once you have the codes please get back to us so that we can further assist you. We are always happy to help.

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.com.

Kindest regards,

Renee
Admin
Thursday, August 4th, 2016 AT 4:08 PM
ROSS35
I remember the last scan I read when it died is P0032.
Thursday, August 4th, 2016 AT 5:17 PM
If your check engine light is on then get it rescanned also check fuel pressure with a gauge, sounds more like the problem. auto parts rent it.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator
Friday, August 5th, 2016 AT 7:11 AM
ROSS35
The light turned on and the scan reads P0032, P0038, P0300.
Monday, August 8th, 2016 AT 12:34 PM
ROSS35
The engine light first flashed then turned on.
Monday, August 8th, 2016 AT 12:35 PM
The first two codes are the O2 sensor front and rear of converter. 0300is random misfire which could be low fuel pressure and the other two to go on. Have you tested fuel pressure yet? Should be 53-63 psi if not in that range then it is your problem. Otherwise have the mechanic check for a the random misfire as it may be a vacuum leak as well.
Monday, August 8th, 2016 AT 12:50 PM
ROSS35
I had my mechanic check it right now. Thank you so much.
Monday, August 8th, 2016 AT 3:33 PM
KEN
Did you ever find out what happened? Pleas let us know so it will help others

Best, Ken
Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 AT 12:32 PM
ROSS35
Mechanic picked up my car and it seems like nothing is wrong with it. They checked the fuel pressure and nothing was wrong. Now they are looking at the electrical wires. I will find out tomorrow what they find and keep you guys updated. Thank you for your help.
Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 AT 4:24 PM