Engine shut off while driving and will not start, no spark going to the coils?

MAFU
  • 2002 AUDI A4
I was driving my car and it suddenly stalled on the road. Cranked it a few times but it wouldn't start. Took it to a mechanic and crank sensor was changed. Drove it for 3 days and it stalled on the road and would not start again. Found out that spark had gone again. Checked area around the ECU and found water by the surrounding areas and discovered that one relay (219) was worn out. Changed the relay but still there is no spark coming to the coil packs. Please help.
Monday, June 21st, 2021 AT 6:35 PM

Hi,

The idea that you lost spark can be a few things. The most common cause is the crankshaft position sensor that was replaced. I have to ask, was an OEM part used or was it an aftermarket?

Next, by chance do you have a live data scan tool? If you do, see if there is an RPM signal when trying to start it. If there isn't, the crank sensor is my first suspect. Also, if an aftermarket one was used, it may have failed.

Also, check the wiring to the sensor. It is located on the driver's side back of the engine. They are somewhat difficult to reach, so there is a chance that the connector was left partially on.

I looked all through my manuals to find a pic, but nothing was available. If you are standing in front of the vehicle, look between the strut tower (driver's side) and the back of the engine. It is down very low. I usually use a mirror when I work on them. LOL

Let me know. Also, let me know if you are able to check for an RPM signal, what brand sensor was used, and anything you can think of.

Take care,

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2021 AT 8:42 PM

Sponsored links