Engine stalled

TIM DONOHUE
  • 2003 CHEVROLET VENTURE
I replaced a bad intake manifold gasket. The van started but ran a little rough. I changed out the original plugs and it ran great even took it for quick ride, no issues. The next morning I started it and went to back it out of the garage when it suddenly stalled and would no longer start.

I am getting no reading from the cam sensor and was told that its failure should not prevent the van from starting. During removal of the power steering pump I may have inadvertently crushed the sensor when trying the pry the pump off.

Given that the van was running at one point could the bad sensor be the cause of its failure to start?
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 2:37 PM

There are some variations between models and engines over which sensor(s) can stall the engine, but in general, crankshaft position sensors and camshaft position sensors tell the engine computer when to fire an injector or ignition coil. With a missing signal, there will be no spark and/or no injector pulses. Usually the fuel pump will also be turned off.

These senors often do not set a diagnostic fault code in the little time they have as a stalled engine coasts to a stop. When you do get a fault code, it only indicates the circuit that needs further diagnosis. They never say to replace a part or that one is bad. In this case you have the luxury of knowing physical damage is the likely suspect. I'd look for a crushed connector plug first. If the sensor is actually cracked, it could have still worked for a while until an internal wire or connection broke. Also, some GM engines will not start with a failed sensor, but if that failure occurs while the engine is already running, it will continue to run until it is stopped, but then it will not restart.
+1
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 3:04 PM
TIM DONOHUE
I changed out the cam sensor and ran a continuity test on the wires. The wires checked out, so then I replaced the ignition control module but still have no spark. Not sure if I should replace the coils next.

Thoughts?

BTW it's a 3.4, I see that I've listed it as 3.1, sorry
Thursday, June 22nd, 2017 AT 1:57 PM
We rarely approve of throwing random parts at a problem. If you have a coil pack with three ignition coils, you know all three didn't fail at the same time. Also, that would cause a crank / no-start due to loss of spark only. You'd smell the unburned gas at the tail pipe. If you don't smell that, you aren't getting injector pulses or spark. That would point to the cam and crank sensors. If there is no fault code related to either of their circuits, you'll need a scanner to see if their signals are showing up at the Engine Computer.
+1
Thursday, June 22nd, 2017 AT 3:40 PM
TIM DONOHUE
As I mentioned earlier I did replace the cam sensor and checked the wiring. Replacing the crank sensor did the trick. Thanks so much for all your help I couldn't have done it without you.

BTW Do you know anything about '84 Chevettes?
Saturday, July 8th, 2017 AT 4:14 PM
KEN
Glad you could get it fixed, Please use 2CarPros anytime we are here to help.

Please start a new post for the Corvette

Cheers, Ken
Monday, July 10th, 2017 AT 2:02 PM
We had an '84 "Vette" donated to my Automotive program. I'm an expert on the charging system because I built a lot of bugs into it for my students to find.
Monday, July 10th, 2017 AT 9:59 PM