Turns Over-Won't Start

SHERISWAY
  • 1999 CADILLAC ESCALADE
Engine Mechanical problem V8 Four Wheel Drive Automatic 160, 00 miles

Hello: I drove my Escalade Tues Evening-parked, went to leave next morning -turns over but won't start. Ck Engine light was on for a week-felt like a O2 Sensor as gas mileage also went down hill. It was running fin-no hesitation to start before Weds.
Monday, March 29th, 2010 AT 6:41 PM

KEN

This sound like it is the crankshaft angle sensor that has gone out which is common on these cars. Here are a couple of guides that will help you get the problem fixed.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/crankshaft-angle-sensor-replacement

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-cranks-but-wont-start

Also the fuel pump can do the same thing

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-fuel-system-pressure-and-regulator

Please run some tests and get back to us so we can continue helping you.

Cheers, Ken
-1
Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 1:57 PM
CHOZEN1
  • 1999 CADILLAC ESCALADE
Truck will not start just grinding noise when I turn key. I have new battery, new starter, alternator and new tune up. All in the last week's. I cannot keep guessing so can someone help?
-2
Monday, May 22nd, 2017 AT 1:58 PM (Merged)
STEVE W.
Grinding noise can be from a bad connection not sending full power to the starter, or the starter needs to be adjusted so it meshes with the ring gear properly or you have a bad spot on the ring gear which would need to be replaced. To check the last one you would need to pull the starter and look at the bendix gear on it as well as the ring gear for damage.
-1
STEV-O73
  • 1999 CADILLAC ESCALADE
My 1999 cadilliac escalade wont start even with new plugs?
Pick your symptoms below check it and get back with some testing results

**Cranks but no start condition:

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine at least 3/16 away from ground -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, Do you hear the fuel pump come On when you turn key on? If not check fuel pump fuse and fuel pump relay if so, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard it.

**No crank at all/nothing/nada when key is engage to starting position

Could be a blown fusible link, the starter, starter relay, park and neutral switch/transmission position switch and ignition switch assuming the battery condition and connections are good. Note:If it doesn't apply disregard.
+1
L T
  • 1999 CADILLAC ESCALADE
1999 Cadillac Escalade 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

I took my battery out and put a new one back in and I think the computer needs to be reset because my security light stays on and the truck will almost crank then shuts off.
+1
FACTORYJACK
Typically not a situation that requires reset. Does the security indicator flash at any time. Do you have scan tool or code reader capability. It is possible that there is codes in the EVO/passlock module that a code reader will not retrieve, but there may be PCM codes that it will. Check the security fuse in the I/P fuse block.
Had this vehicle recieved a jump start prior to this, and are you using the same key as before.
+1
WIKKED2213
  • 1999 CADILLAC ESCALADE
My escalade was running fine and I parked it but when I got back in car to start it up it wouldn't start. It cranks and it has power but it doesn't fire what could possibly be the problem I don't the think its the fuel pump but im no mechanic so can u help me
L T
I dont know if I have scan tool or code reader capability. I have not had a jump start, and I have been using the same key.
Check fuses under hood and try resetting security or try another key. Then scan for codes and check fuel pressure with a gauge
FACTORYJACK
Try this. Disconnect both battery cables and touch them together for a minute or two. Reconnect them and see if you still have the same concern.
+1
JUSTIN78
  • 1999 CADILLAC ESCALADE
My wheel bearing broke. I replaced it and the axle but now my brakes are going to the floor sometime then they grab and other times they work fine. I have seen no leaks and wheels are not wet. Booster seems fine still full of fluids
You're describing a couple of different things. "Grabbing" vs. "Working fine". "Going to the floor" vs. Apparently "not" going to the floor. If you needed to pump the brake pedal to run the piston out of the brake caliper after the first repair, and you ran the pedal all the way to the floor, the master cylinder is most likely damaged. Experienced professionals never push the brake pedal more than about halfway to the floor. Crud and corrosion build up in the lower halves of the two bores where the pistons don't normally travel. Pushing the brake pedal to the floor runs the lip seals over that crud and can rip them. That results in internal leakage. The brake fluid bypasses the seals so it doesn't get pushed under pressure to the wheels. There will be no external leak so you won't lose any brake fluid. Very often this shows up as a slowly-sinking brake pedal, and it may not show up for two or three days.

The fix is a rebuilt master cylinder. It won't hurt to push the brake pedal to the floor with that one. It takes about a year for that corrosion to start to build up. If this is what you find, reply back first before you replace it. I have a tip that will prevent you from having to bleed at the wheels.