Key stuck in ignition, no start and multiple electrical issues

SHAKO BUACHIDZE
  • 2004 CADILLAC CTS
Hello, please help! I go crazy with my car. I leave in Europe (Georgia, Tbilisi) and we don't have Cadillac dealer, so I only can write you. My problem is: key stuck in ignition, service theft system message, fuel gauge not work, parking position light not work in this time. I can only start engine from starter relay manually (i remove starter relay and start engine from there). I ordered re-manufactured and programmed ECM, but I cannot do key relearn procedure. Seems like I lost something between Keys Off and On Position. Can you please help me?
Wednesday, May 8th, 2019 AT 8:31 AM

KEN
What happens on these cars is the shifter needs to be adjusted causing the ignition key not to be removed. Here is a guide to help you see what you need to adjust. Check out the diagrams (below). Please let us know what you find. We are interested to see what it is.
Thursday, May 9th, 2019 AT 1:41 PM
SHAKO BUACHIDZE
Dear Ken, Thank you very much for fast answer! OMG, i think i also thought about something like this. because, my car have some noise when i shift to parking position. Please explain to me, where is this located? With diagram i do not understand, where it is. is it under gear shifter? or under the car? do you mean maybe transmission linkage like in this video? https://youtu.be/hmLBPin6ggw i am not professional mechanic, but i know many things and hope to fix it myself. So, please, explain me little bit more detailed, what i have to adjust or replace. Thank you in advance! i am big Cadillac fan, but unfortunately we don't have official dealer service in Tbilisi, so i cannot do anything.
Thursday, May 9th, 2019 AT 10:55 PM
KEN
That is exactly what goes wrong it is under the car. here is a guide you can follow to raise the car safety:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/jack-up-and-lift-your-car-safely

Can you please shoot a quick video with your phone so we can see what's going on? that would be great. You can upload it here with your response.
Friday, May 10th, 2019 AT 10:38 AM
SHAKO BUACHIDZE
Dear Ken, Thank you very much for helping me. I think, you are my last hope :-) because, everyone was saying ECM, TCM, low voltage, etc. Only you say to me about and after your message I start to think about this noise and this thing. I have now video, I hope it uploads here, when not I will upload it on YouTube to show you everything. Important thing: this happens not exactly every time. For example, yesterday I was trying to shoot video, but car started normally with the key :-)) funny, but true. And after car starts normally, it needs some time, some hours, for problem come back. Today car was not starting and finally I have video now and I will upload it now here. P.S. After starting from starter relay I have two error codes: U0100 (Network) and P0700 (Transmission Control System MIL Request). P0700 is not every time, only sometimes. Hope, this video and my comments helps you to help me. So, can it be Shifter adjustment, what I need for fix this problem? As you know, I do not leave in USA, I am in Europe (Georgia) and we don't have here official Cadillac service. Thank you so much for helping me. Wait for your answer.
Sunday, May 12th, 2019 AT 11:23 AM
KEN
The network code is most likely the PCM, can you remove the electrical connector at the PCM to check for corrosion? Here is the location. Also I have included the security relearn institutions. Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
Monday, May 13th, 2019 AT 1:25 PM
SHAKO BUACHIDZE
Dear Ken, no, there is no corrosion at the PCM. Connectors are also okay. We also tried install a new, programmed ECM but key relearn procedure can not be done. But with old ECM sometimes is everything okay. Sometimes Car starts absolutely normally! Did you see my video? One day ago car has started normally with key. Do you think after this video about shifter adjustment? Or no more? I think also about this detail under the steering wheel (please, see Photo, I don't know name of this part). Because, when I try to start and car can not start with the key, sometimes this detail is heated! Or maybe my key is damaged (please, see also key photo).
Monday, May 13th, 2019 AT 11:58 PM
KEN
Yes I looked at the video and it looks like the immobilizer is broken, here is the security wiring diagrams and a guide to help you test the wiring as well. When it doesn't run is the security light flashing?

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-wiring

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know what happens.
Tuesday, May 14th, 2019 AT 10:22 AM
SHAKO BUACHIDZE
Dear ken, here I am again. I still have this problem. Please, answer me on these two questions:

1. I have new (re-manufactured) ECM, programmed with my VIN, but key relearn procedure can not be done. What can be reason of this? When I install new ECM and begin key relearn procedure, when I turn the ignition to the "on" position, The security light must illuminate steady or flash at least 10 minutes, but it turns off after 5 seconds and comes again after 1 minute (with message Service Theft system) and turns no more off. This must be first step to key relearn and it can not be done. What can be reason of this? I am sure, new ECM is absolutely okay.

2. When motor is running at least 30 minutes, car starts normally with the key - even if you try 20 times. Only after some hours staying off, problem comes again. So, can you maybe tell me, what happened? That is because I still think, it is not ECM-s problem.
Wednesday, July 10th, 2019 AT 11:16 PM
KEN
Yep, the CAN may need to be reprogrammed because the BCM did not like the reprogrammed PCM. It should cost about $130.00 US at a shop.
Thursday, July 11th, 2019 AT 10:39 AM
SHAKO BUACHIDZE
Dear Ken, thanks, but what do you mean? CAN mau need to be reprogrammed? What is CAN?
Friday, July 12th, 2019 AT 1:29 AM
KEN
Computer area network (CAN). here is a video that shows the job scan (not programming):

https://youtu.be/u-4syLc-ifQ

Please let us know what happens.
Saturday, July 13th, 2019 AT 11:39 AM
SHAKO BUACHIDZE
Thank you so much. And how I can reprogram CAN? If I understand correctly, I must install new ECM and before key relearn procedure, I have to reprogram CAN, because the BCM did not like the reprogrammed PCM. So, if its correct, I will do it. But how? Should I just reset codes before key relearn? As you know, I am not in USA, I leave in Tbilisi (Republic of Georgia) and here are no Cadillac mechanics. :-(
Sunday, July 14th, 2019 AT 12:54 AM
KEN
You will need a TECH2 which is GM's reprogramming platform, so dealer or garage that has one can do it for you it should cost about $130.00 us.
Monday, July 15th, 2019 AT 11:16 AM