1998 Buick Park Avenue Motor Mount

TRAMAYN
  • 1998 BUICK PARK AVENUE

1998 Buick Park Avenue 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

How do I take a motor mount off a 1998 Buick park avenue. I have to take off the whole bracket to replace the serpetine belt. I am having significant trouble taking off the motor mount! I have to disconnect the mount from the block and there is a nut on a screw behind a pulley that wont allow me to take the bracket off from the engine block.

Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 12:59 PM

IMPALASS

Hello -

To better assist you please let me know if your model is just a Park Avenue or an Ultra. Also I need to know the 4th and 8th digit of your VIN and your engine size in liter.

I have attached a pic and numbered the hardware....which number are you having problems with?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_1_164.jpg

+1
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 10:49 PM
TRAMAYN

It is a 3.8 Liter V6 this diagram is only the top part of the mount. On these latter model Park Avenues (1998) you have to take mount off to take the serpentine belt off. This diagram only shows the top part of the mount which only connects the mount to the frame of the car. The mount is attached to the engined block with the serpentine belt running through the mount. My model is the type where I have to jack up motor but also the model where the belt doesnt come off unless I take the mount off the engline to take the belt off. The nut to talke the mount completely off the engine block is somehow going behind a pulley with holes that wont align so you can actually put a socket on it.

+1
Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 10:58 PM
TRAMAYN

I have a 3800 L36 Engine the one without the supercharger (Non Ultra). The Vin Engine code is K.

I found a owners manual here:

http://gmownercenter.yahoo.com/portal/landingpage.php?session=dHJhbWF5bjg3Njg1OTg0MA%3D%3D

Thursday, February 12th, 2009 AT 11:28 PM
IMPALASS

Hello -

Well - good news bad news.......first let's get the bad out of the way.......this is what I have in the manual........so I don't have a visual on removing or replacing the mount.

CUTLASS & MALIBU ONLY (3.1L & 3.4L)

NOTE: Removal and installation procedure given on these vehicles only due to the complicated procedure involved.

With that - well - the good news - we can do what we can to work through this together.......

The web site......thanks for that but I need your VIN to see...........

Next - thanks for the info but you didn't give me the engine size in liter and my information is only listed as liter and model of car such as the K.....and I have many to choose from. So when you can please provide the liter.

Okay - I have attached another pic but shows the mount from the frame side. If I understand you correctly the mount part you are having problems with mounts to this part where I have the arrow? Yes?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_4_45.jpg

So you have the bots off where it mounts to that mount but not where it mounts to the engine and you said you can not get to it due to a pulley. Which pulley? On many of the models I have worked on the pulleys if they have bolts on them either have holes in them so you rotate the pulley to the position you need to put the tool or they press on/off like power steering pulleys many times. Which is your case?

Can you send a couple of pics of what you are looking at?

You do have a jack under your engine and it is braced - yes?

If the pic in m head is correct on what you are talking about - if you disconnect the mount connected to the engine from the mount on the frame - at that point can't you jack the engine up just enough to clear getting the belt out between them?

Waiting to hear back from you...........

Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 9:39 AM
TRAMAYN

Thanks its a 3.8L V6.

No the problem i am having is with the mount to engine block not mount to frame like you have in the diagrams. and yes the pulley is the power steering pulley but the holes wont align so that you may stick a socket in them to take the nut off the screw behind it. The diagram i am seeing only shows how to take the mount off the frame when on the park avenues you have to take the mount off the engine block to take the belt off.. the belt doesnt simply slide off or come off without you removing the mount fully as if it was broken and you were replacing it totally. What would better serve me is how to take the mount off the engine instead of taking the mount off the car body. And yes this pulley has holes in it.. but the aligning is improper to actually stick a tool in and take it off.. i wish i could i wouldve had this done a week ago lol. My belt doesnt go around the mount in these cars its in between the mount.. ive searched extensively and it seems to be quite a few people having this problem even on this site i havent found a definitive answer to others questions about this because they are asking the same one i am maybe not as clearly though.

Other refs:
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/1998-buick-park-avenue-accessory-belt-vt256532.html

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/1997-buick-park-avenue-serpentine-belt-vt257580.html

Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 10:02 AM
IMPALASS

Hello -

Okay - located the below pic - if I understand....we need to get 5 and 6 apart or out of the way - am I correct?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_5_4.jpg

I don't have any visuals in my info other than the pic above.

Can you remove the pulley off of the PS pump (AZ has the tool) and then get to the mount bolts and remove the mount that way?

Thanks for the other posts........you are correct others seem to have the same problem. What was Buick thinking......

Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 2:09 PM
TRAMAYN

WOW! This site will be forever bookmarked. That is exactly what I need. Yes because its 6 thats the bolt that runs behind the pulley with the on it that I need to get off so I can fully take the mount off. I will try to go to auto zone and get a tool to try and get the pulley off. Seems as if thats the only way to get to the nut because the holes in the pulley dont align and the nut is so far behind the pulley I cant even get a tool on the head of the nut, and the mount doesn't slide off 5 far enough so I can slide the belt through. So is that the only way to get it off. Yes I know I can probably get to it if I took the pulley off (i think the PS pump). But I wanted to know if I could indeed take that pulley off without messing anything up, as I did not see any tool in my box that would take it off. And if that was the only and right way? Thanks Man, You guys are great my first time using the site and im very impressed. Thank You.

Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 2:47 PM
IMPALASS

Hello -

I attached the tool for your viewing........

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_2_108.jpg

If you have never used one ask them.......to make sure you understand because the parts that go over the pulley end are in two halves and a ring slides over.......make sure you have the rod centered in the middle of the pulley so you don't damage the pulley and mark where the pulley is to be sure when you press it back on right. Slow and steady are the two words for the day.

You use the same tool to press it back on so lube the shaft a little.

Also before you remove it stand to the side or look from above to get a good view of how all the pulley wheels line up. That way when you install you can verify. If it is a fraction off you could shred the belt........you probably don't want to do this twice but think how fast you would be the second time!

Next - for your safety please make sure you jack/brace the engine so when you remove the mount the stress is off of it.

Yes you can remove the pulley wheel without messing t things up if you use the right tool and go easy.....

Well - I don't have that in the book here on how to remove but that is how you remove the many types of PS pulleys.

Glad you like the site and we can help. That is what it is here for. Lots of great moderators here on the site trying to help folks out.

Also - feel free to log a feedback next to my name if you wish.

Thanks again, - good luck and let us know how it turns out and please tell your friends (and enemies too - they have to drive too ) about the site....

Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 3:17 PM
IMPALASS

Hello -

Hey, also one last thing, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/248015_3_69.jpg

-1
Friday, February 13th, 2009 AT 3:19 PM
BIRCHHILLAUTO

I have done this job if you remove spacers 4 and 5 (by removing studs (Inverted torx ) with a little effort you can change the belt

Thursday, January 22nd, 2015 AT 7:30 AM
URIELZ

What is the name of part 3 of the diagram, I want to know because it broke on my car and I want ro buy it. If you know any place that sells them online could you alo let me know. Thanks

Thursday, November 12th, 2015 AT 8:13 PM