Trunk won't Open

WABEETH
  • BUICK LESABRE
I have a 2004 Buick Lasabre with both Key Open and Electronic Open controls on the Truck Lid.

The cable control the Key Open access to the trunk has been severed for sometime and I have been Opening the Trunk using the Electronic opener on the Drivers Door.

Recently I put a large cardboard box in the truck full of closes and the Truck closed with no problem. Unfortunately now I am unable to open the trunk using the Electronic control on the Drivers door.

Even though the trunk closed easily after putting the box of clothes in the trunk I fear it might have done something to disable the unlock mechanism.

With the Truck closed how can I access the Truck Lid Lock Mechanism to open the trunk and investigate what the problem might be.

Thank you in advance for your assistance

Bill. Phoenix, Arizona
Sunday, September 30th, 2007 AT 11:04 PM

TEKWIZ2010
I called a locksmith he told me that the grease on the lock will thicken over time and that if the key is hardly used to open the trunk. That the lock can freeze up. I took some WD40 and sprayed the lock and key. And tried very hard to turn the key putting a lot of pressure on the key. Then it unfroze and works fine now. Nice and easy to turn the lock and the trunk opens with the same key I use to open the door and start the car.

The Trunk Lid was popping up all the time because of the Key Fob In My Pocket.

I took the Key Fob apart. Put some clear Tape Over the contacts
on the Trunk Release and Put The Key Fob Back Together.

Now My Trunk Lid Does Not Open When My Keys Are In My Pocket
Which is fine with me.

I was using the button on the door to open the trunk.
Because I thought the Key Did not work.
-1
Thursday, February 13th, 2014 AT 9:54 AM
KEN

Try to push down on the trunk lid while opening it. Also check the fuse and relay in the system here is a wiring diagram (below) and a fuse box location along with the a guide to help you get the job done.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-fuse

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-an-electrical-relay-and-wiring-control-circuit

and

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-use-a-test-light-circuit-tester

Please run some tests and get back to us we are interested to see what it is.

Cheers, Ken
Wednesday, July 12th, 2017 AT 5:26 PM
BUICKMAN2
  • 1997 BUICK LESABRE
Hi.

Neither button nor remote will open trunk anymore. Now need key to open it.
Trunk Opening became intermitent before dash trunk button or remots stopped opening trunk.

Hear trunk-opening relay under passenger side kick panel fuses 'click' when either the dash mounted Open Trunk Button or Trunk Open button on one of remotes is pushed.

Have swapped relays and trunk will still not open.

Trunk Open Motor(relay) unit works properly on another Buick.

Ground wire to Trunk Open Motor unit has a good solid very near zero ohms reading to chassis ground.(Get same value when measure gnd wire to chassis on known good Buick, the same one used to confirm that trunk open motor was good)

Fuse good.

Humm. That just about leaves the Control WIRE from the relay to the Trunk Opening Motor connector? Maybe broken where emerges from inside of truck shell because something too big in trunk mashed it when trunk forced to close?

Right. I need to check that. Is there something else that should be checked??

Thanks,

Buickman2
-1
Wednesday, July 12th, 2017 AT 5:27 PM (Merged)
Sorry for the late reply.

Check the trunk release mechanism for voltage and ground when activated. In the diagram for trunk release mechanism, the top wire is voltage, the bottom black wire is ground.

I realize this is an old post. You probably no longer own this vehicle. In the future hope you don't have any vehicle issues, but, if you do, keep the site in mind. They are always working to improve the site and it's free.

Have a good day.
MATTRH
  • 2000 BUICK LESABRE
Can't get trunk open on 00 Buick lesabre
-1
Wednesday, July 12th, 2017 AT 5:28 PM (Merged)
Do you have a trunk key? In the diagram below is the trunk relay. Right side of relay, if you use jumper between terminals, the trunk may open. Check applicable fuses and check for voltage, use a voltage tester.