FUEL GAUGE QUIT WORKING

CATHY14
  • BUICK LESABRE
I own a 1997 Buick LeSabre. I live in Iowa. We drove it to California. While in the mountains of Colorado the gas gauge quit working. This was 2 yrs. Ago. It still does not work. I just watch my mileage and gallons but does get a little tricky sometimes because the mileage changes. So, consequently we have run out of gas a few times. Also, when the gas gets low the car will stall on turns. I fill it up and sometimes there is still as much as 1/4 tank of gas yet it acts like it's empty. I was told it would be quite a job and like $150 bucks to fix it so I have just kept track of things.
Sunday, November 5th, 2006 AT 11:27 AM

JSCZYNSKI
Hi It sounds to me like you need a sending unit. Which in terms means a fuel pump. Does your check engine light come on? It might even be a bad fuse so check your fuse box. Hope this helps you. :D
Wednesday, November 8th, 2006 AT 7:41 AM
CATHY14
No, my check engine light is not on. Just today again, I thought I had enough gas (judging by the gallons/mpg), however, it died twice on corners and I barely rolled into a gas station. It then took 19 gallons. Which I realize is pretty low. But, it seems that whenever this car is even near low it just can't keep going. Thanks for the reply.
Wednesday, November 8th, 2006 AT 1:21 PM
CATHY14
By the way, what is a sending unit? Would I need that plus a fuel pump? Would this be major labor involving taking off the gas tank?
Wednesday, November 8th, 2006 AT 1:23 PM
JSCZYNSKI
Yep the fuel pump is in the tank on that model. There is something called the float in the tank that measures how much fuel is left and I believe it's mounted to the fuel pump. I recently replaced my fuel pump on a 1991 buick century and they charged me $700.00.
Wednesday, November 8th, 2006 AT 2:42 PM
CATHY14
Well, I am going to try this again. I replied but I don't think it posted, if so then sorry.
Your description sounds like that is what is wrong with my car. However, for that price I believe I will just watch the miles and gallons and make sure I always fill the tank frequently. Thanks.
Saturday, November 11th, 2006 AT 11:29 AM
JSCZYNSKI
I'm glad I could help you out! Good Luck! :D
Tuesday, November 14th, 2006 AT 10:21 AM