Air conditioner not working?

TEDHED
  • 1998 BUICK LESABRE
AC clutch will not engage. Not sure if a lack of freon will cause this to happen or if that will just result in the unit quick-cycling. Checked corresponding fuse in fuse box beneath steering column. Fuse is good. Not sure where to start. Manual says there is another fuse set on the passenger side. Haven't been able to locate that. Fans, temp sets, all that stuff works in the control panel. I did notice that the fan cycles high and low all the time even when not in auto mode.
Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 10:13 PM

AC clutch will not engage. Not sure if a lack of freon will cause this to happen

This video will show you how to add

https://youtu.be/uZrQCGwXfek

Is you car's air conditioner blowing warm air only and no cool air? Your A/C cooling problem could be caused by any of the following:

Your A/C system may have lost its charge of refrigerant, or the compressor may not be engaging when you turn on the A/C, or the blend air door inside the HVAC unit may be stuck in the HEAT position so no air goes through the A/C evaporator.

Start with the compressor. Does it engage when you turn on the A/C?

If so, the compressor is working and the A/C system probably contains enough refrigerant to make cold air, so the problem is inside the HVAC unit. Replace the motor that controls the blend air door (this is a difficult job and best left to a professional since it involves tearing apart the HVAC unit -- about an 8 to 10 hour job!).

If the compressor does not engage when you turn on the A/C, see if it will run by jumping the compressor clutch wire directly to the battery (use a fused jumper wire). If the compressor works when you jump it, and the A/C blows cold air, the system contains refrigerant and the fault is likely a bad A/C compressor clutch relay or a bad clutch cycling switch or pressure switch.

If the compressor does not engage when you jump it, the problem is a bad compressor clutch.

If the clutch engages but the compressor does not turn (the belt will start to slip and squeal), the compressor is loced up and you need a new compressor.

If the compressor clutch engages and turns the compressor, but the A/C still does not blow cold air, the system is probably low on refrigerant and needs to be recharged. If you Have an A/C gauge set, hook it up and see if the system has any pressure.

If it is out of refrigerant or is low, check for leaks, then have the A/C system vacuum purged to remove air. After the air is out, it can be recharged with the specified amount of refrigerant. It is important to get any air out as this will reduce cooling efficiency and may make the compressor noisy.

My advice to you if you know nothing about A/C service is to find a repair shop that specializes in A/C repairs and let them fix your cooling problem for you. Today's A/C systems with automatic climate control are very complex and reuire special tools and know-how to diagnose and repair.
+5
Wednesday, July 29th, 2009 AT 10:48 PM
WMELVIN
  • 1998 BUICK LESABRE
Air Conditioning problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 36000 miles

After changing the battery I no longer get air out the dash vents. I have windshield and floor air. I can redirect it to either of those locations or both at once. I dropped the glove box door and nothing moves there. I also checked, there is vacuum present. I have also removed fuse 9C for a reset and it's no different. It is automatic climate control.

I do get a light but no noise that I can hear other than the fan running. The vent led works as well as the others. If I turn on the recirculate button it lights but air comes from the windshield vents and the floor. It blows cold air also.

The person I purchased the car from said this started when she replaced the battery but I have been through all that procedure and nothing works. Should I be able to move the control arm behind the glove box manually?

I do have battery voltage between those two wires. The programmer is bad is it something I can replace and do you know where to find it for the best price?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Friday, May 29th, 2020 AT 12:41 PM (Merged)
JONICOEN
In response the the AC from dash and floor, but not from the dash.
I am having the same problem. According to the post on the website listed above, it is a common problem that is crusted by "weakening and subsequent crimping of one or more of the vacuum lines, or softened connector nipples with the A/C programmer."

The programmer is a common problem in these cars and can you can get one through Amazon for $365.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQRIGE/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000EQRIGE&linkId=b3565bba3b2859d24b72ef200980430a

This web address give specific steps to fix the problem. I hope this helps!

Joni
+9
93LESABRE
I had the same problem with my lesabre and it turned out to be just a vacuum hose that came un-done so check your vacuums and if there are any undone then that might be your problem
+2
KEN
The passenger mix link for the blend door which is what brings in cold air and directs it through the heater core to make it hot. Now there is a HVAC programmer just in front of that it is a box with the vacuum lines and two connectors on it this is that we need to test as that tells the system what to do.

Now here is a reset procedure to do when the battery has been changed or died.
Turn key on then off see if it resets if not then check fuse 9C if it is good then then make sure key is off and disconnect the programmer. With a volt meter check for voltage between the black and white wire (E1) and the orange wire (E13).

You should have battery voltage between these two wires if not then fix the fuse or short if it all good then make sure there are no harness problems and replace the programmer. Here is a pic of the HVAC system as well. Let me know what you find.

Here is a better image on how to replace it. (below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
+1
FLASHPOWERCONTACT
  • 1998 BUICK LESABRE
I have my heater set to 85 or anything that blows warm air from the driver side, but it blows freezing cold air from the passenger side, the passenger heating control pad on the side even when set to the warmest setting is still blowing freezing air, what could be the problem?
FLASHPOWERCONTACT
I found a blown fuse and replaced it, a blue 15A in section 8A, I started the car and heat started coming from both sides, but the air was blowing from all areas, not just one, it wouldnt switch to mid, floor or windshield, it was coming from all of them, I turned off car and checked fuse again and it was blown again, could this be a short somewhere, how do I fix this.
Yes, a short is most likely the issue.
FLASHPOWERCONTACT
How can I find out where it is?
Check the blend door actuator.
FLASHPOWERCONTACT
What exactly is that o.O
A blend door is part of the HVAC on your vehicle. Near the heater core, the blend air doors are located. The heater core is hot from engine coolant and the blend air doors open to allow heated air to enter the vehicle. Based on how far they are open determines how much heat you get in the vehicle. If they are closed, you get none.

The blend air door actuator is the device that opens the door to allow air to enter the vehicle. It moves based on the temp requested by the driver. If the actuator is bad, the door will not open and you will not get heat.
MARYJM
  • 1997 BUICK LESABRE
Heater problem
1997 Buick Lesabre Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150, 00 miles

I had someone look at the car, they said it was 1 of 3 things. The module, resistor, or the blower fan.
The resistor and blower fan work so I looked for a replacement of the module. The other used one did not work so I got another one. Same thing-don't turn to low or high still. What else could be wrong with the heater? Since it is getting colder, don't want to be without the heater. Just too cold.
I hope you can figure something out for me soon.
I would appreciate any info. You might have.
Thanks so much.
Mary
DOCFIXIT
Is the fan speeds the issue or lack of heat?
MARYJM
To your question, it is the fan speeds and lack of heat. I hope to hear from you back with what could be wrong with this car.
Thanks. MJM
DOCFIXIT
Need to know if Automatic or manual HVAC
-1
CRENEDE
  • 1997 BUICK LESABRE
Ac is blowing cold on drivers side but blows heat on passenger side car has passenger climate control
MERLIN2021
First I recommend a scan with GM scantool to retrieve fault codes, but you can try this if you want.
AIR MIX VALVE 1. Remove glove box. Start engine. Set temperature control to 90 F (32 C). Set passenger control panel to full WARM position. If ambient temperature is greater than 90 F (32 C), disconnect in-vehicle temperature sensor. Allow at least 45 seconds for programmer output cranks to reach full heating position. 2. Gently pull driver air mix valve crank toward programmer until valve contacts stop. Insert threaded portion of link into slot on plastic pin on driver air mix valve crank. 3. Gently pull passenger air mix valve crank toward actuator until valve contacts stop. Insert threaded portion of link into slot on plastic pin on passenger air mix valve crank. See Fig. 1 .

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_aca_2.jpg

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_acb_1.jpg

-1
RANDYGULL
  • 1997 BUICK LESABRE
Driving the other day on a rainly evening cool tryed to run defrost worked on the right side but the left side fogged up till I had to clean the glass with a towel only to fog up again heater was blown hot air about 5mos ago change intake and head gaskets about 800. Oo dollars in parts things were find for a mos or so water level drops about a quart a mos. Any ideas? What my problem is?
DE772601
Hello sounds like you have a heater core going bad in the car if you are getting alot of fog on the front window and also if you are getting an odd smell inside the car also this will be the same problem. Hope this will lead you in the right direction.

Sponsored links