Air conditioner problems

WMELVIN
  • 1998 BUICK LESABRE

Air Conditioning problem 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 36000 miles

After changing the battery I no longer get air out the dash vents. I have windshield and floor air. I can redirect it to either of those locations or both at once. I dropped the glove box door and nothing moves there. I also checked, there is vacuum present. I have also removed fuse 9C for a reset and it's no different. It is automatic climate control.

I do get a light but no noise that I can hear other than the fan running. The vent led works as well as the others. If I turn on the recirculate button it lights but air comes from the windshield vents and the floor. It blows cold air also.

The person I purchased the car from said this started when she replaced the battery but I have been through all that procedure and nothing works. Should I be able to move the control arm behind the glove box manually?

I do have battery voltage between those two wires. The programmer is bad is it something I can replace and do you know where to find it for the best price?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 9:21 AM

JONICOEN

In response the the AC from dash and floor, but not from the dash.
I am having the same problem. According to the post on the website listed above, it is a common problem that is crusted by "weakening and subsequent crimping of one or more of the vacuum lines, or softened connector nipples with the A/C programmer."

The programmer is a common problem in these cars and can you can get one through Amazon for $365.00

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EQRIGE/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_il_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=2carprcom-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B000EQRIGE&linkId=b3565bba3b2859d24b72ef200980430a

This web address give specific steps to fix the problem. I hope this helps!

Joni

+9
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 7:19 PM
93LESABRE

I had the same problem with my lesabre and it turned out to be just a vacuum hose that came un-done so check your vacuums and if there are any undone then that might be your problem

Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 3:19 PM
2CARPROS KEN

The passenger mix link for the blend door which is what brings in cold air and directs it through the heater core to make it hot. Now there is a HVAC programmer just in front of that it is a box with the vacuum lines and two connectors on it this is that we need to test as that tells the system what to do.

Now here is a reset procedure to do when the battery has been changed or died.
Turn key on then off see if it resets if not then check fuse 9C if it is good then then make sure key is off and disconnect the programmer. With a volt meter check for voltage between the black and white wire (E1) and the orange wire (E13).

You should have battery voltage between these two wires if not then fix the fuse or short if it all good then make sure there are no harness problems and replace the programmer. Here is a pic of the HVAC system as well. Let me know what you find.

Here is a better image on how to replace it. (below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

+1
Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 AT 5:52 PM
1995 BUICK LESABRE
  • 1995 BUICK LESABRE

1995 Buick LeSabre Custom, 111,280 miles, 3800 V6

AIR BLOWS COLD. No problems here. Now mechanic has installed a used control head, have same problem. When it is started the air blows out the vents like it should. After a while it starts blowing out the top. Sometimes the bottom and quits coming out the vents. Park it and turn it off and turn it back on it usually blows out the vents. The problem starts all over again. Mechanic is scratching his head from "checking everything" to getting to the bottom of my pocket book. Car runs fine. I change the oil every 3k miles. Tires excellent. No other known problems except the cruse control will not work. Taking one step at a time. I have got to get this air to blow right. Any sugesstions? I made a small donation. Thanks.

+2
Wednesday, June 21st, 2017 AT 5:53 PM (Merged)
1995 BUICK LESABRE

Beats the devil out of me. I wish I knew more than I did or it would have been fixed a LONG time ago. I keep hearing something about an acturator (sp?), Doors, vacuum hose leaks, stopped (clogged up) blower entrance. I don't know beans about this stuff. I mean how does one check out a vacuum hose? I don't have a vacuum checker tool. I don't know if one exists. My wife has a vacuum cleaner for the house. I went to my mechanic and mentioned actuator. He said he already covered this. Well duh.I had somebody tell me today that a small leak from the rain and such could drip a small amount of water on an actuator and make it go haywire. Sounded a little farfetched to me. Esp. When he mentioned a body man could check it. I just need stuff spelled out to me where I can understand it. I guess I will have to buy a new roll of vacuum hose and start cutting and replace all of it to cover my bases. Maybe, somebody who knows this stuff can spell it out to me. Maybe. I think I spent my last money here on the problem. Oh, I forgot, loose wires too. Maybe. What loose wires? Where? No idea here. I know the fuse is good because the actual air cond. Works. Just the shifting air is the dang problem.

SERVICE WRITER

I empathyze with your frustration. I can write a post about explaining why you haven't been responded to, but it would be pointless. I'll just say that if someone views it and doesn't think they can give constructive help, then it is better to not make a post.

Diagnosing is expensive at a shop because of the costs to run a shop and associated headaches to solve your headaches. You wouldn't ecpect to go to work and not get paid either.

Did the shop adjust the air mix valve?

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_adj_1.jpg

What codes are present?

Did anything change at all when the used unit was installed?....Why used unit?

SERVICE WRITER

This is your system:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_lesabreventdia_1.jpg

This is what you want:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_lesabreventwant_1.jpg

But this is what it changes to:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/30961_lesabreventget_1.jpg

IS this correct?

-1
1995 BUICK LESABRE

Paul,
Been busy and finally looked at your response. Basically you are right. Except, I think that when she starts to blow out the "top" I'm not quite sure if it blows out the bottom at the same time, but I will check this for sure tomorrow and give you a heads up on the exact answer. It seems to mainly blow out the top. Maybe a little comes out the bottom, but I will double check it for sure and let you know! I can understand the picture (illistration) for sure, I think.

-2
LBGASS

I had the same problem with my 1995 Le Sabre. My mechanic changed a $6.00 part called a Vacuum Check Valve. It is a small T shaped valve that hooks into the vacuum lines some where on the top of the engine. Cured the problem. Have you tried changing this?

+2
APLANERA
  • 2001 BUICK LESABRE

Air Conditioning problem
2001 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 145000 miles

There is no air/heat when I turn the air/heat/vent on. No sounds, no air, nothing. Is it a motor issue?

It could be the blower motor. However, it could be a relay, blower motor resister, the switch. What you need to do is start at the motor. It's under the dash on the passanger side. Check to see if it is getting power. If it is, then the motor is bad. If not, then we need to start working backwards through the system.

Let me know what you find.

MSPROPHET
  • 2002 BUICK LESABRE

I have the same problem. 1998 Buick LeSabre with electronic dual zone climate controls. I get air from the floor vents or windshield vents, but none from the dashboard.

I determined that there is no vacuum on the BLUE hose under any condition. The BLUE hose goes to the vacuum motor that switches between defrost and dashboard vents.

I temporarily hooked up one of the other vacuum lines (that had vacuum on it) to the motor, and it worked, so I know the vacuum motor is OK.

I checked the line between the vacuum motor and the programmer (behind the glove box) and it looks OK.

Is the programmer not working? They look expensive. I'd like any help you can offer. I am going to try to reset it.

Also, there is no freon in the air conditioner (needs a new compressor), so I'm sure the pressure switch is telling the controller not to run the A/C. This wouldn't keep the dash vents from working, would it?

Thanks,

dave

Can you hear the blower motor running?