1998 Buick Lesabre No air from dash vents

WMELVIN
  • 1998 BUICK LESABRE

Air Conditioning problem
1998 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 36000 miles

After changing the battery I no longer get air out the dash vents.

Saturday, January 17th, 2009 AT 9:21 AM

RACEFAN966

Ok do you get air from any vents at all or nothing at all? Does the blower motor come on at all? Let me know what you can so we can try to fix this problem.

+15
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 11:14 AM
WMELVIN

I have windshield and floor air. I can redirect it to either of those locations or both at once. I dropped the glove box door and nothing moves there. I also checked, there is vacuum present. I have also removed fuse 9C for a reset and it's no different.

Thanks in advance for your help.

+5
Monday, January 19th, 2009 AT 8:21 PM
RACEFAN966

So I didn't ask do you have manual or automatic climite control? Once I know that I can see what I can find to help.

+2
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 9:37 AM
WMELVIN

Sorry, it is automatic climate control.

+6
Tuesday, January 20th, 2009 AT 11:18 AM
RACEFAN966

Ok does the light come on when you push the vent button? Do you hear any noises like vacuum noises or anything? Let me know so we can go to next step.

+2
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 10:03 AM
WMELVIN

Yes I do get a light but no noise that I can hear other than the fan running.

+3
Wednesday, January 21st, 2009 AT 5:10 PM
RACEFAN966

Here is how the system is said to work OK. The vent button is used to toggle is used to turn on or off the A/C compressor and allow ambient air to enter the car. When the vent button is pressed the vent led will come on and the A/C compressor is de-energized, pressing the vent button again or the re-circulation button will cancel out the other. When in defrost mode the vent button will do nothing.

If all this is good then we may need to check the programmer. Does it work correctly in manual mode? Let me know and we will go from there.

-2
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 10:10 AM
WMELVIN

The vent led works as well as the others. If I turn on the recirc button it lights but air comes from the windshield vents and the floor. It blows cold air also.

The person I purchased the car from said this started when she replaced the battery but I have been through all that proceedure and nothing works. Should I be able to move the control arm behind the glove box manually?

+2
Thursday, January 22nd, 2009 AT 7:45 PM
RACEFAN966

Ok that is fine that is the passanger mix link for the blend door which is what brings in cold air and directs it throught the heater core to make it hot. Now there is a HVAC programmer just infront of that it is a box with the vacuum lines and two connectors on it this is that we need to test as that tells the system what to do.
Now here is a reset procedure to do when the battery has been changed or died.
Turn key on then off see if it resets if not then check fuse 9C if it is good then then make sure key is off and disconnect the programmer. With a volt meter check for voltage between the black and white wire (E1) and the orange wire (E13). You should have battery voltage between these two wires if not then fix the fuse or short if it all good then make sure there are no harness problems and replace the programmer. Here is a pic of the HVAC system as well. Let me know what you find.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249564_Graphic_27.jpg

+3
Friday, January 23rd, 2009 AT 10:23 AM
WMELVIN

I do have battery voltage between those two wires. Is the programer something I can replace and do you know where to find it for the best price?

-1
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 8:27 AM
RACEFAN966

Well according to the test the programmer should be bad so I would call around to wrecking or salvage yards and buy one there as that will be your best price. Keep me informed of how it goes. Thanks.

-1
Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 2:58 PM
JONICOEN

In response the the AC from dash and floor, but not from the dash.
I am having the same problem. According to the post on the website listed above, it is a common problem that is crusted by "weakening and subsequent crimping of one or more of the vacuum lines, or softened connector nipples with the A/C programmer."
This web address give specific steps to fix the problem. I hope this helps!

Joni

+7
Thursday, June 18th, 2009 AT 7:19 PM
RAY ODOM

Fuse 9c on Buick LeSabre is a radio fuse. How can that affect air conditioning?

Monday, July 20th, 2009 AT 2:29 PM
GRIBBLED

I have the same problem. 1998 Buick LeSabre with electronic dual zone climate controls. I get air from the floor vents or windshield vents, but none from the dashboard.

I determined that there is no vacuum on the BLUE hose under any condition. The BLUE hose goes to the vacuum motor that switches between defrost and dashboard vents.

I temporarily hooked up one of the other vacuum lines (that had vacuum on it) to the motor, and it worked, so I know the vacuum motor is OK.

I checked the line between the vacuum motor and the programmer (behind the glove box) and it looks OK.

Is the programmer dead? They look expensive. I'd like any help you can offer. I am going to try to reset it.

Also, there is no freon in the air conditioner (needs a new compressor), so I'm sure the pressure switch is telling the controller not to run the A/C. This wouldn't keep the dash vents from working, would it?

Thanks,

dave

Saturday, May 1st, 2010 AT 12:29 AM
93LESABRE

I had the same problem with my lesabre and it turned out to be just a vacuum hose that came un-done so check your vacuums and if there are any undone then that might be your problem

Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 3:19 PM
JOHN SISK

I'm working on a 1997 buick la sabre and the vent is not blowing from the dash either. The compressor seems to be working good. Did dye test on system and appears to be good. But it looses the Freon in about three days and the dash vents don't blow. What could that be

-1
Thursday, June 9th, 2016 AT 1:45 PM
BIGCWMP

I have the same problem. I opened the Glove Box and tried to move the actuator arm, seems to be stuck & didn't want to force it. This is the whether the car is running or not. Is it possible the diverting door is stuck?

Saturday, August 6th, 2016 AT 8:53 AM