1992 BUICK LESABRE TRACTION CONTROL AND ANTILOCK BRAKE LIGH

• miksor
  • 1992 Buick Lesabre

Other Category problem
1992 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 114000 miles

I recently purchased this car from a private individual for a very reasonable price in " as is" condition. The traction and anti lock brake lights come on after reaching a speed of ~15mph. I have bled the brakes as they seemed soft. I have checked for fuses, only the anti lock has a fuse that I have found. I have replaced the right front wheel bearing assy as it was very noisy, this came with a new speed sensor built in. After finishing all this up, I noticed a missing connection on the master cylinder and discovered a plug lying nearby. I connected it, and started driving over 15 and no lights! I pressed hard on the brakes (it was snowy road conditions) and the anti lock brakes pumped as they should. I went around a corner and lost traction a little, thus spinning a tire and the lights came back on. I double checked the connection and it's still good. I understand how the traction control works by applying braking action to the spinning wheel, thus forcing torque to the other wheel. I would like some ideas of where to begin looking. Note: The left wheel sensor has been checked for connection. I am sure there should be continuity, but my repair manual gives no assistance in that regard. That wheel produces no bearing noises.

Monday, December 31st, 2007 AT 2:01 PM

• Jack42

Since the light is on, you will need to find a shop that is capable of pulling the codes for the ABS/traction control system. There is most likely a code in there that will help point us in the right direction for a repair

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2008 AT 8:03 AM
  • miksor

I accessed the codes (via jumping the two pin listed in the maintenance book) and the only one that came up was 12. System diagnostics.
Can you give me a resistance value for the sensors? I can measure that and maybe determine which sensor is faulty, if one is.
Can you provide me with a schematic of the sensors, front and back?

Monday, January 7th, 2008 AT 4:24 PM
  • Jack42

Code 12 doesnt have anything to do with ABS/traction contol. Needs to be scanned with a scanner

Monday, January 7th, 2008 AT 5:03 PM