BRAKES

1992 Buick Lesabre

JanMarKil

October, 18, 2008 AT 3:42 PM

Brakes problem
1992 Buick Lesabre 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 16400 miles

My brakes are going to the floor. The brake fluid was only about 1/4 low. I filled the container up. I have to keep pumping them up to work. I hear air from the inside of my car, near the brake pedal. Would this be a Master Cylinder problem or a Wheel Cylinder problem?

October, 18, 2008 AT 4:03 PM

Replace the brake master cylinder if there's no leakage at the wheel cylinders/calipers

A quick way to check the vacuum booster is to pump the brake pedal several times with the engine off to bleed off any vacuum that may still be in the unit. Then hold your foot on the pedal and start the engine. If the booster is working, the amount of effort required to hold the pedal should drop and the pedal itself may depress slightly. If nothing happens and the vacuum connections to the booster unit are okay, a new booster is needed (the vacuum hose should be replaced, too).

JanMarKil

October, 18, 2008 AT 4:13 PM

There seems to be no brake fluid leaking on the ground. Does that mean anything further?

JanMarKil

October, 18, 2008 AT 4:22 PM

I followed your instructions. Nothing happened.

What exactly is a booster? How do I look that up on a site, which sells auto parts?

October, 18, 2008 AT 5:12 PM

The brake booster is the big round thingy behind the brake master cylinder that provides the brake assist during braking.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_booster_2.gif

Below is your power barke booster

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_brake_booster1_1.jpg

JanMarKil

October, 18, 2008 AT 5:15 PM

Is it complicated to install?

October, 18, 2008 AT 5:19 PM

No just remove the brake master cylinder and disconnect the booster from under the dash

JanMarKil

October, 18, 2008 AT 5:35 PM

Would you happen to know the cost of the booster?

October, 18, 2008 AT 7:15 PM

About $71.65 as shown above for yours

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Bleed and Flush Your Brake System Correctly
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Honda Element
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front