Whining when accelerating

MHICKS45
  • 2005 BUICK LA CROSSE

Engine Mechanical problem 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 55000 miles

What causes a whining noise when accelerating?

This is most noticeable when outside temperatures are lower. Only notice when accelerating.

Candidate diagnoses offered by "know it all" friends are as follows:

(i) idle tensioner pulley is bad. Estimated repair $350

(ii) power steering fluid is low

(iii) power steering pump is bad. Replace

(iv) transmission is going out (don't think this is it. Same noise occurs when in neutral and engine rpm is increased)

What do you think?

Saturday, April 24th, 2010 AT 2:20 PM

2CARPROS KEN

All of these things can make the noise but the most likely problem is the power steering pump. Here is a guide that help you see what you are in for when doing the job.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-power-steering-pump

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken

Monday, September 11th, 2017 AT 6:37 PM
FBBLACK
  • 2014 BUICK LA CROSSE

I have a 2014 Lacrosse with 5,000 miles on it. Around 1,500 miles we started noticing a high pitched sound when accelerating. The sound is like a power steering unit bearing going out, but is not. I have taken it to the Buick dealership where it was purchased and they are telling me that this is normal. They also had the Buick rep ride the car and he also said that this was normal. I recently drove a different 2014 Lacrosse and did notice the sound at very low speeds (@5 to 10 miles an hour). The sound that I have is much loader than the 2014 I drove and the noise is consistent up to 30 miles an hour and can be noticed at higher speeds on quiet roads when letting off on the gas.

Monday, September 11th, 2017 AT 6:37 PM (Merged)

Either take to a different dealer and see wha thtey say if it's normal then it's normal or have a local guy check it out