Wheel speed sensor replacement instructions please?

KANUI MOIHA
  • 2006 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
Service stability light comes on and the ABS light comes on. While bleeding the brakes the rear driver side brakes do not work and had no fluid while bleeding. I changed the outer brake hose to caliper and nothing. Trying to avoid going to dealership to fix. Any help is much appreciated. Mahalo
Saturday, April 23rd, 2016 AT 7:04 PM

KASEKENNY1
More then likely this is a speed sensor but we need to start with what codes you have.

Here is a guide that will help pull the codes:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/checking-a-service-engine-soon-or-check-engine-light-on-or-flashing

Once we know what the code is we will have a better idea what to do but I suspect have a sensor issue so here are some guides for this as well:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/abs-wheel-speed-sensor-test

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-an-abs-wheel-speed-sensor

Below you will find the process from the manual on how to replace this as well.

Please let us know what questions you have. Thanks
Monday, March 8th, 2021 AT 6:07 PM
SGTTILL
  • 2001 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
ABS brake light came on, replaced sensors on both front brakes along with right front hub. Now the light is out but when you apply the brakes just before the car stops the ABS pump kicks in making a noise and brake pedal vibrates. Got any ideas?
Monday, March 15th, 2021 AT 11:02 AM (Merged)
KASEKENNY1
Hi SGTTILL,

More than likely the ABS thinks that one of the wheels is slipping which kicks in the ABS activation. Remember the ABS will activate when it thinks a wheel is slipping and you enter into a brake application.

Just because your light is out doesn't mean your sensors are operating correctly. It usually just means there is not open circuit any more.

The best way to test the system is to monitor the wheel speed sensors with a scan tool to actually see what the ABS module is being told the speeds are. If you do not have a scan tool to do this, here is a guide that will help test your sensors.

Don't forget about the speed sensor ring that if it is cracked it will throw off your speed sensor which will effect your speed sensor reading.

Let me know if you have any questions or feel free to let me know what you find with the scan tool and we can go from there. I would also be curious if there are still codes in the system. An ABS event doesn't set a code but if something did not operate correctly during that event, it could. This would be good info if there are codes. If there are not, then that would support my theory above. Thanks
THENRY77
  • 1998 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN
While making sharper right hand turns and applying the brake at the same time, the brake pedal starts to heavily push back and vibrate violently against my foot and also makes a whining noise. The noise seems to be coming from the front on the vehicle. Also when this happens the brakes don't feel as if they are engaging. And after the abs light sometimes comes on but not always. Once the wheel has straightened again brakes work properly. When this happens I am usually at low speeds so I am able to let off the brakes and once I have done this they seem to work but not always.
Monday, March 15th, 2021 AT 11:48 AM (Merged)
Based on your description, it sounds like you have a front ABS sensor that has a bad connection or broken wire. You description indicates the ABS is turning on. That tells me (if you are not in a skid) the computer thinks the wheel has locked. Check the sensors and see if there are any wiring issues.

Sponsored links