2004 BMW X5 AC Does not Cool immediately sometimes

AWRP
  • 2004 BMW X5
  • AWD
My a/c unit normally works perfectly. On occasion, it blows hot air for the first 2-10 minutes then presto its perfect. On othre occasions it works normally as I start the car.

Once when it achted up I shut the engine off and strated again. And then it immediately started blowing cold air.

Of note, once it actually starts cooling it works perfectly.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 8:38 AM

DR. HAGERTY
It could be something in the control circuitry, it could be low refrigerant charge, it could be software. Without having the car in my possession, it is quite possible to mis-diagnose the issue. Have a short test performed(with the proprietary BMW software or autologic) and have the pressures checked.
-2
Friday, August 13th, 2010 AT 7:56 PM
AWRP
Hi
I toox the X5 to the dealer. They said the refrigerant was low. They worked on that. Put some dye in to see if it was eaking and told me it is fine

The problem is still there. Hot air but after 10 minutes it works fine. So cold!

What would cause a delay of 8 - 10 minutes?
+2
Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 10:07 PM
AWRP
The Problem Restated and Clarified

Over the past few months the air conditioning sometimes take 5-10 minutes of the car either idling or running before any cool air is generated. It's not a question of cooling the car down or even blowing the hot air out of the ducts, it is positively NOT allowing the compressor or some part of the system that must kick in for cooling to happen at all, until some sensor or switch flips, then it cuts on and immediately puts out very cold air. In other words, its not something to do with a gradual change in the temperature of the air coming out of the vents; it operates for a few minutes as if it is on fan-only and then, in a fraction of a second it seems, the air suddenly turns extremely cool and stays that way. Once it has kicked in and operated normally for at least, oh, 15 minutes or more, it will usually start putting out cool air within 30 seconds or so after re-starting. However, once the car is off for a few hours it reverts back to delaying the a/c from cooling for that 5-10 min. Delay.

The service team insisted that it was caused by low coolant even though it cools perfectly after the initial delay.

On 07/09/10 it was checked, the a/c was discharged, and refilled. Of note, It was re-gassed with leak dye and I was advised to return in a few days to check for leaks.

I still have the problem!
Friday, September 10th, 2010 AT 10:31 PM
DR. HAGERTY
This is a control circuitry or software issue. The dealership, what is their take on it when you demonstrate the problem to them?
-2
Saturday, September 11th, 2010 AT 3:58 AM