SMELLS PROBLEM2006 BMW X3 6 CYL ALL WHEEL DRIVE...

2006 BMW X3

Mike_D

April, 22, 2010 AT 4:31 PM

Smells problem
2006 BMW X3 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 60000 miles

About a month ago my wife complained that her 2006 X3 was smoking under the hood and smelled like burning rubber. I came home at lunch to check it out and could not find any evidence that could produce smoke or burning rubber. I could not get the problem to be duplicated again until today. The smoke was very light and lasted only a few seconds. The outside temp was about 35F, we only drove the car for 15 minutes to the parking garage when the smoke came out from under the hood. The AC was not on, temps and fluids were normal. After troubleshooting again, I could not get the problem to present itself again.

I've looked on the internet for possible causes and the only thing I can find that is close is possibly the Crankcase Vent Valve. However, there's no evidence of moisture in the valve cover.

What's next?

Need some assistance.

Dr. Hagerty

April, 22, 2010 AT 5:54 PM

Did the smoke have an aroma you can describe to me?

Mike_D

April, 23, 2010 AT 7:26 AM

My wife said it smells like burning rubber. My nose doesn't work very good, so I can't accurately describe it. The smoke only lasts for about 5-10 seconds and it only comes from the right side of the hood.

Dr. Hagerty

April, 24, 2010 AT 11:35 AM

If this seems like a safety issue to you, tow the car to your repair facility straightaway. It might be something like oil on the exhaust manifold from a valve cover gasket leak.

Mike_D

April, 24, 2010 AT 2:47 PM

Thanks for your assistance.

Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla