CLUTCH PROBLEM

1991 BMW 850

PNEILL316

June, 13, 2008 AT 5:27 AM

1991 Other BMW Models V12 Two Wheel Drive Manual 115000 miles

I have a 91 bmw 850i and for the last 6 months the clutch seems to be slipping slightly. The stange thing is it hasn't gotten any worse during the last 6 months. It doesn't slip in 1st or 2nd gears or at higher rpms 3,000 and up. It does seem to slip when putting it into 3-6 gear at a low rpm (below 2,500) and only if I try to give it a lot of gas will in a low rpm. At first I was going to replace the clutch, but 6 months later it's still very drivable. I don't smell anything burning even when it slips. I was woundering if it could possibly be anything besides replacing the clutch.

Clutch Problems

Clutch Help!

Dr. Hagerty

June, 13, 2008 AT 10:42 AM

There is a special tool available from BMW part# 21-2-080 that will help determine if the clutch needs to be replaced. It is a gauge that goes into the hole where the clutch slave bolts on. If the clutch slips the only real way to deal with it is to remove the transmission and clutch and inspect. I suspect at that mileage the clutch will require replacement.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement