1997 BMW 528 Will not automatically shift

BRUCIE100
  • 1997 BMW 528

1997 BMW 528 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

My car will not automatically shift. It will shift into reverse, etc. BUt, it will not shift automatically when going down the road. I had been having problems but thought it may be the unseasonably cold weather here in Alabama this winter because it was only doing it occassionally. I added transmission fluid and it seems to be worse now that before. I undertand it may have too musch fluid but I removed some this PM and drove it maybe a mile and it is still not shifting. What could be my problem?

Sunday, January 24th, 2010 AT 5:34 PM

DR. HAGERTY

It could be several things going on. 1. There is a bulletin for a Eprom update to deal with this issue, the part # will depend on the numbers on the EGS control module. 2. There is or there are broken parts internally, consider this as a possibility, and I am not recommending that it may be so. 3. There may be power and/or ground issue. I recommend proceeding with a sample of the oil, is it black and does it smell burnt? If so the next step is more challenging, fix it or replace it.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Sunday, January 24th, 2010 AT 7:19 PM
BRUCIE100

The oil does not smell burnt or look black. After reading some other posts concerning fluid, I am concerned about the method employed in checking the fluid. We simply started the engine and let it run for a few minutes. Turned the engine off and then checked the level by removing the cap to the ATF bulb. It appeared low so we added some. I will check the EPROM update also.

Sunday, January 24th, 2010 AT 11:42 PM
DR. HAGERTY

The fluid should be checked whilst the engine is running.

Monday, January 25th, 2010 AT 9:21 AM