WILL NOT AUTOMATICALLY SHIFT

1997 BMW 528

brucie100

1997 BMW 528 6 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 108000 miles

My car will not automatically shift. It will shift into reverse, etc. BUt, it will not shift automatically when going down the road. I had been having problems but thought it may be the unseasonably cold weather here in Alabama this winter because it was only doing it occassionally. I added transmission fluid and it seems to be worse now that before. I undertand it may have too musch fluid but I removed some this PM and drove it maybe a mile and it is still not shifting. What could be my problem?

Trans Not Shifting

Not Shifting

1 IMAGE

Dr. Hagerty

It could be several things going on. 1. There is a bulletin for a Eprom update to deal with this issue, the part # will depend on the numbers on the EGS control module. 2. There is or there are broken parts internally, consider this as a possibility, and I am not recommending that it may be so. 3. There may be power and/or ground issue. I recommend proceeding with a sample of the oil, is it black and does it smell burnt? If so the next step is more challenging, fix it or replace it.

brucie100

The oil does not smell burnt or look black. After reading some other posts concerning fluid, I am concerned about the method employed in checking the fluid. We simply started the engine and let it run for a few minutes. Turned the engine off and then checked the level by removing the cap to the ATF bulb. It appeared low so we added some. I will check the EPROM update also.

Dr. Hagerty

January, 25, 2010 AT 9:21 AM

The fluid should be checked whilst the engine is running.