1991 BMW 525i UNLOCK DOORS WITH DEAD BATTERY

STIBLER
  • 1991 BMW 525I
My battery completely died and the doorlocks do not work. The BMW dealer said to apply pressure and turn the lock. I tried that but almost applied enough pressure to bend the key. I have heard I can hook up a 12 volt battery to the taillights with electrical wires but I do not know where at the taillights to actually do this. I do not want to blow any fuses but get just enough juice through the electrical system to unlock the doors so I can open the hood and get a new battery. I need a BMW person very knowledgable about this procedure. The dealer was wrong. I have everything but just want to know where to attach the electrical wires to to get enough power in the system to open the doors. I am greatly indebted to anyone with an answer.
Friday, March 27th, 2009 AT 7:46 PM

DR. HAGERTY
Go to the passengers side front door. Put the key in the door lock. Lift the handle. Turn the key to unlock. Have a nice day
Saturday, March 28th, 2009 AT 8:34 AM
STIBLER
THIS ANSWER WAS ALREADY ON LINE AND I TRIED IT AND IT DID NOT WORK. THAT IS WHY I DONATED AND SENT MY QUESTION IN. PLEASE LET ME KN OW THE WAY USING A 12 VOLT BATTERY
Saturday, March 28th, 2009 AT 12:15 PM
DR. HAGERTY
OK, so you can get in the trunk, but the key will not open the doors. Sounds like it might be in central arrest. The battery cannot be directly accessed from the trunk to charge it. Access to the battery cable is possible if you can get under the car on the left side where the starter is, I have gotten a small cable to charge the battery up in there, but it is not fun or easy.
Saturday, March 28th, 2009 AT 12:49 PM
STIBLER
I will give it a shot. I read on Google that some guy was able to connect the 12 volt battery to the tail lamp and that would send enough current rhough the system to open the doors. Have you heard of that? Another guy on Google said he was able to connect to the lamp above the license plate and that too sent enough current through the system with enough power to open the doors. I cannot get under the car. Please google my question and check out the answer about connecting a battery to either the tail lamp or the lamps above the license plate. Those google guys said they were able to open the doors that way by sending enough current to the battery to open the doors. I really appreciate the help. The dealer will charge major bucks if I bring the car to them as they will remove the back seats from inside the trunck somehow. Could be a great and invaluable learning experience for us all. I will write back and let you know if that worked if you can tell me where to connect to. Don't want to burn out any fuses. I will refer you all to all my frfiends for their questions. Thanks again.
Saturday, March 28th, 2009 AT 1:26 PM