BAD BATTERY....

• DLeaven
  • 2007 BMW 525i
  • automatic

My 2007 525i BMW hesitated starting 3 times this past weekend. I brought it to a certified BMW repair shop and they told me that I needed to replace the battery. The cost would be $465 because they would have to reprogram it. It this really necessary or are they trying to "get over" on me?

Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 3:15 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

Does the battery even sound weak? Have you had it load tested? Most parts stores will do it for free. As far as reprograming, what is he saying needs reprogramed?

Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 3:28 AM
  • Dr. Hagerty

Reprogram is not the correct term, they need to re-assign the battery. That means the car needs to be "told" there is a new battery in the car to align the charging system to the battery. The new battery technology makes this a needed step in the proper installation of your new battery to avoid shortening its life from under or over charging. I am assuming the price is for the battery and the reassignment as well as checking for faults within the charging system, is this true?

Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 10:08 PM
  • DLeaven

Yes that is correct, the price they quoted me is the cost of the battery and reassignment.
Thank you gentlemen for your expertise.

Wednesday, November 24th, 2010 AT 11:13 PM
  • Dr. Hagerty

BMW might be a great car, but the dealer should have explained the issue to you so that you could understand. I am glad we were here for your question and will be if needed again.

Thursday, November 25th, 2010 AT 2:28 AM