BAD BATTERY....

2007 BMW 525i

DLeaven

November, 24, 2010 AT 3:15 AM

My 2007 525i BMW hesitated starting 3 times this past weekend. I brought it to a certified BMW repair shop and they told me that I needed to replace the battery. The cost would be $465 because they would have to reprogram it. It this really necessary or are they trying to "get over" on me?

Jacobandnickolas

November, 24, 2010 AT 3:28 AM

Does the battery even sound weak? Have you had it load tested? Most parts stores will do it for free. As far as reprograming, what is he saying needs reprogramed?

Dr. Hagerty

November, 24, 2010 AT 10:08 PM

Reprogram is not the correct term, they need to re-assign the battery. That means the car needs to be "told" there is a new battery in the car to align the charging system to the battery. The new battery technology makes this a needed step in the proper installation of your new battery to avoid shortening its life from under or over charging. I am assuming the price is for the battery and the reassignment as well as checking for faults within the charging system, is this true?

DLeaven

November, 24, 2010 AT 11:13 PM

Yes that is correct, the price they quoted me is the cost of the battery and reassignment.
Thank you gentlemen for your expertise.

Dr. Hagerty

November, 25, 2010 AT 2:28 AM

BMW might be a great car, but the dealer should have explained the issue to you so that you could understand. I am glad we were here for your question and will be if needed again.

Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006