CAR DOESNT START

2001 BMW 330

ElvisStofflet

November, 7, 2010 AT 11:45 PM

2001 BMW 330 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 112, 00 miles

I bought a BMW 330ci and 1 year later when I was driving the engine just suddenly stopped. I tried and tried to start it back up but no success. Everything in the car works and I hear clicks when I try to start it. So I had one of my friends come over and see if he can find something wrong with it. He plugged in his OBD 2 and what came up was radiator fluid. I towed it to a shop later that day and the techs told me it was a blown head gasket which they demanded about 3k just to fix it which is money I dont have. I took it home and noticed the battery was dead so I bought a new one. Still did the same thing. Then another tech came in and told me it might be my starter relay. Im at a confused state where I'm hearing more than one answer and solution and as little funds I have I dont want to waste it on unnecessary fixes. Please help me find out whats really wrong with so I can get it up and running. I appreciate your time in reading this. Any suggestions will help. Thank you

Dr. Hagerty

November, 8, 2010 AT 8:39 AM

The answer I could give might be easier for both of us if you could tell me exactly what happened when it stopped. OBDII readers telling you radiator fluid is not helpful. $3k for a head gasket is based on what?

ElvisStofflet

November, 9, 2010 AT 3:47 PM

Well thank you for replying to my question. All I can say is the last thing I was doing was flipping through the radio to find some music and as I was doing that I noticed I started losing power, so I stepped on the gas alittle and nothing, I floored it and still nothing. I shut the radio off and noticed I no longer heard the engine. And thus what I was saying earlier on my reply. As for the 3k head gasket I'm not sure whats it based on since my knowledge on automotive is small but I went to several mechanics and their prices was either close or around that number for the repair. I know that with a cracked head gasket, white smoke starts erupting out of the exhaust mixture of engine oil and coolant I believe causes the white smoke. But how would I know since I cant get the car started in the first place? I hope this helps alittle on answering your questions.

Dr. Hagerty

November, 10, 2010 AT 8:01 AM

Thanks, the possibility is the head itself might be cracked. Be prepared for this, the 3k might go up if it needs a new cylinder head casting.

ElvisStofflet

November, 10, 2010 AT 3:47 PM

Well I was ready for that response but was hoping the answer would steer away to another direction. Um know I know the problem is there anything else I might know? For example: does the starter play a big part of why it's not starting?

Dr. Hagerty

November, 11, 2010 AT 6:20 AM

If the cylinder is full of coolant it will. Pull all the spark plugs and try cranking it over, if coolant shoots out, you will know.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe